1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ck. my price to sod

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Dix, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Dix

Dix LawnSite Member

Need to give a price by tomorrow,to lay sod.
    Area to be sodded - 2500 sq ft., or round to 300 sq. yds.
    cost of sod ------- $ 450.00
    tiller rental ----------- 57.00
    lawn roller rental - $ 10.00
    fert. ----------------- $ 5.00

total costs less labor -$ 552.00

I may just do the entire job solo. Figure no more than 8 hrs. total. Open area
    with not much to cut around. I am thinking of $ 1205.00. What do you think?

Do you think I should have a helper? First sod job.
  2. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

I think you'd need a helper to get that done in a day. One guy carrying one guy cutting and laying the rolls. Is the ground prepped and ready to go?
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I can tell this is your first sod job. Maybe a helper can work on your prices a little. ...Geese :angry:
  4. Dix

Dix LawnSite Member

grshppr - I will be killing the present vegitation, & tilling the ground.

paponte - This site is for us to help each other out. If you do not have anything constructive to say, then don't say anything at all, and keep your smart _ _ _ comments to yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Actually, my post was very constructive. As you stated... "This site is for us to help each other out". I hope you helped "us" as well as yourself, by raising your pricing. I am more than certain I am not the only one that would be double what you were planning to charge.

As far as commenting, and keeping my responses to myself... If you don't want people to comment, then I would advise not posting. It's sort of the whole idea. :D

6. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

My estimate:

1. Sod installed = (2500 sq.) = $1375.00 (3hrs @2men)

2. Tiller rental/labor/fine grade = $60.00 + $270.00 = $320.00

3. Lawn Roller/labor = $65.00

4. Fertilzer = $65.00

Total : $1825.00

$5.00 for fertilizer??? why bother even charging if your gonna charge that.....
  7. Dix

Dix LawnSite Member

paponte - Now, youre last post WAS constructive, ie you think I should doubble the price. Your first post, however, was not constructive at all.
    Look at the reply just prior to your last post - Now their is an individual actually trying to help.

8. Dix

Dix LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help paps, you've got the idea. Hope I can return the favor someday!
  9. terraverde

terraverde LawnSite Member

How does Paponte know what you can get for one laborer in your market? I don't think the price was too far off if you could actually do it in 8hrs by yourself. This not being likely; that was the problem with the estimate. I do agree that low-ballers should rot, but you stuck your neck out and sought some advise first. Its obvious that paponte was having a bad day, I hope everything is OK.

10. Organic-man

Organic-man LawnSite Member

The end price should be between 50 and 80 cents per square foot, depending on the economy and difficulty of the job. Go no lower than $1250 for the whole job or you'll just be breaking your back for nothing. $.75 per foot will give you $1875. Check around and see what the going rate per sq ft is.