1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

CL ad thoughts?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mwalz, Jun 30, 2014.

1. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

I want the good, the bad, and the ugly about my CL ad.

I update or add more pictures as time goes on. Let me know what you think! I know there could be improvements as with anything in this business, but i want some more input than just my own.
  2. Chuckduck

Chuckduck LawnSite Senior Member

I would just use the first photo and not real sure if I would tell them what you use because the average homeowner has no idea and just wants a nice job done !
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. mwalz

Yeah true....maybe i should rephrase that part of it.
  4. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

The ad is decent, but does it stand out? Here are some titles in your area under the farm & garden section:

Very affordable lawn services
    Lawn service
    R.L. Lawn Service
    Yard Clean-Up • Landscaping • Mowing
    $20 any yard up to 1/4 acre

Here is 2 that the same company put out:
    Summer makeover for your yard and landscape!!
    All your outdoor needs!!!

Notice a difference? The 5 posted are very bland, pretty much the same. I consider those just as bad as typing your subject in all caps. The 2 ad's that same company posted, they are different and unique. They stand out!

Another way to get more hits is to type in all the areas you service. This way, anyone who goes to farm and garden, types in their town, only those ad's will appear. Many people do this because they are tired of weeding out the junk people post....or the same company posting the same ad 100 times.

Come up with many different ad's, always keep them going. 1 ad won't do you any good. Max out the amount of ad's you can make with 1 email address, then get another email address and do the same.

Keeping your ad's always going is the key. Times are even better of when they will appear at the top of the page. Times like 10am, or around lunch time, or around 7 or 8pm...these are the times people mainly look for things.

Lastly, the content of your ad needs to make it work for you to weed out the BS. No one cares what equipment you use, or when you sharpen your blades. But people do care when they see something like "For example, an average half acre yard is $60". Now they know if you are too expensive, or they can afford it. Or if you prefer to weed out the BS, put something Like "Rates start as low as $30"....this way it'll get you the call to hopefully sell/upsell and land a job. As far as cleanup...what does that even mean? Clean up the grass clippings? Clean up leaves? Define what that is so the potential customers understand.

I hope this helps.
  5. mhelpdesk

mhelpdesk LawnSite Member

"I've edited a LOT of ads in my time, so I took a whack at this. What do you think? It's just a little pithier and more personal:
    Matt's Lawncare does mowing, trimming, edging, cleanup, and other outdoor yard work such as leaf cleanups from Villa Ridge To Valley Park and everywhere in between. References available, of course!

FREE Estimates for Mowing - Trimming - Cleanup

I use only the best professional equipment to ensure that your lawn will get done promptly and well. Mower blades are sharpened every week so your lawn looks fresh, not scalped.

Contact me today:"
  6. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

When I ran a garden tilling ad I mentioned that my tiller would not leak oil or gas on the soil and wow did that line ever get me busy. I did like you. Couple pics, I used my full name and listed all my contact info. I made the ad simple and personal. I used the word "fair" for pricing. "Fair prices". I also always use the phrase workmanlike manner. I says all the things you are struggling to get out. "Quality materials installed in a workmanlike manner" says it all. That's what a lawyer put into my contract also. I didn't come up with that on my own ;)
  7. mwalz

Thanks for all the help guys! Once i get my main ad worded correctly i will just make a bunch of ads. No sense making 100 ads if i have to go change every one of them. I was busy the past 2 days so didn't get a chance to work on any business stuff.
  8. mwalz

9. mhelpdesk

mhelpdesk LawnSite Member

I like it! You can also do what ad companies call a/b testing, which is to run two separate ads and track which is the most effective. It's Craigslist, it's free, might as well. In Canada we also use Kijiji a lot.
  10. VirginiaLawns

VirginiaLawns LawnSite Member

Craigslist Ads are free, may as well try a bunch of em and see what works. At one point I found the only good performing ad read "Don't click here for lawn care". In my area Craigslist has tons of lawn care companies and I haven't found it a particularly good marketing channel.