Clam shells plugging valves

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Currier, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

We do the property maintenance for a new HOA. The current contractor, a housing developer, has had a heck of a problem with small clams getting into the main line and messing up the valves (irrigation water fed from a subdivision pond). They claim to have to dismantle and clean out at least 2 or 3 valves per day.

My problem is: We will be assuming maintenance of the irrigation upon the developers conclusion of responsibilities to the subdivision.

Anybody have any thoughts on how to fix the problem?
  2. A filter would be first on my list....
  3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Clams go good with garlic & red wine.
  4. Clams in Colorado? Did nobody catch where the original poster is from?

Back to the question...first problem, the intake was placed too close to the bottom of pond, therefore, if these are fossilized clams that are coming up from the silt, they get sucked in.

The easiest way would to install a filter on the main line ,something that would be easy to service, just like they do in the drip systems for the Almond orchards here in Ca.

Clams in CO?
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Mutant Clams escape from Rocky Flats? Didn't that play on a twin bill with Plan Nine From Outer Space?
  6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Clam shells means fresh water mussels to me. Zebra mussels have been a major headache for some. I was told that shells had been found in the irrigation system here. I haven't found it to be a problem yet, but I have only moved my first million gallons back in March. Haven't moved any water in April. A good spin down filter should stop any shells. Zebra mussels LOVE irrigation intakes.
  7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like sprinkler guys LOVE mussels! I know they plug inlets, but do
    the little dears get upstream & trash everything else & bypass scrubber valves?
  8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I knew they have crabs there... and their lobster is often on special at the local seafood market. :laugh:
  9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

LOL... I was referring to the Colorado Crabapples. :laugh:

You still down around Mouse House or back home?
  10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm down in Anaheim. We received a promo package for this trip, and its been pretty crappy, but you can't beat free.

I fly back tommorow night, not sure what we will do tommorow since our flight is at 6:00 but checkout is at 11. I don't want to haul a suitcase around all day.