1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ClamShell Vs Metal baggers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Inman's lawn care, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Inman's lawn care

Inman's lawn care LawnSite Member

How efficent is a Clam Shell? I mean i read on here that after someone is done mowing a customers yard they dump it in the road or yard or on there trailer. Then rack or vac it up. How efficent is that really? Because I use metal side baggers that i fill up yes they are very heavy sometimes and i dump them and contuine mowing and have no clean - up at the end of my job. Then i will not worry about what the customer thinks when i dump a clamshell full of grass or debris on the ground. That cant be good for the yard or looks of the road or curbing. I would think adding extra work and time. Plus the add expense of having a vac machine. I have always believed in KISS - Keep.IT.Simple.Stupid.

Now I am not knocking the Clam shell it is a nice concept!! I am just trying to understand what would make my job faster and more efficent.
    So I am asking
    - How efficent really is a Clam Shell vs a Metal side bagger? -
  2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I dont understand the clam shell. If you have the lawn cleaned up nice and neat then why would you want to dump the grass out by the road and have to rake it up into barrels or a vac? Why move the grass twice. Since you have it collected there has to be a better way. I love the barrel style trac vac or the triple baggers like the ultra vac that exmark has. You bag it and dump it into the truck. If you have on site dumping spot then you put it there. That is 1 on the 2 spots I would even consider a clam shell. (on site dump spots) The 2nd would be for fall cleanups where your going to be using the vac anyways. Now I can tell you there is NO WAY I'm going to throw on an accelerator or grass goggler on my zrt. Dump every 50 feet, nope, I'll double cut before I do that. In my eyes and my experience I will only recommend barrel or bag style baggers.:weightlifter:
  3. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I know this is a dumb question but what do you mean by a clam shell?
  4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I use the clam shell type and love it. It holds more than a side bag and it doesn't get in the way. We dump on a tarp and just toss the tarp in the back of the truck. In the fall we just dump along the curb and the vac truck picks it up.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's a Mid-West thing. They're talking about collection units that mount to the back of ZTRs and tractors. They usually have a blower that mounts to the discharge of the mower and attaches to the "clamshell" with a large diameter hose.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Clamshells hold more debris than do side mounted or rear bag type collection systems. That and they are much easier to unload. The clamshell type vacs does not require the operator to leave his/her seat to unload. You just pull a lever, bump the control sticks on the Z a little forward to get the stuffing moving, and wait for the materials to drop out the back.

Real simple and quick...
  7. Inman's lawn care

Inman's lawn care LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice and answers. I am looking for a new mower for my 2007 season and i have been knocking around the ideas of the Clamshell.
    Also walk behinds and riders and every other concept that is easy to be bomb bard-ed with. You all know what i mean. I NEED a good bagging system i can depend on REALLY BAD!! I don't want to drag it or hitch it. i want the easiest unloading with out killing me.

Metro Lawn - Dummy me didn't think about a tarp.:hammerhead:
    Does that work really well? Do you have problems with it. I have fold down sides on my truck so it would be kind easy. By myself i don't know though.
    I have a part time helper so he is not always with me.

rodfather - Thanks for the pointers. Sounds like it would really easy to unload. My worry is getting it into the truck if i have to unload. Metro Lawn
    had a good idea with the tarp.

So if anyone has good advice on baggers, Clamshells or catchers PLEASE send it my way with your advice of experiences.

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I think I have tried about every bagging system there is to try. Cyclone rake, hated that **** thing, like driving a 15 passenger bus around the yard, trac vac, works ok but is still bulky and cumberson and you have to shut off the trac vac engine every time you go to dump (which is not often because they hold a LOT), the accelerator is good for small jobs or grass clippings and have great customer support but forget using them on large amounts of leaves or straw,will empty every 30 seconds or less. Then there was my formal exmark:cry: I no longer have that had the dump from the seat bagger, AWSOME! This makes you not even dread having to bag a yard anymore! If I stay in this biz I will have me another one! Most of my yards have on site dumping so no hauling off. The only thing I hauled off was pine straw to resale:) No problem dumping it next to the trailor and pitchforking it in when I was threw.
  9. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

Can anyone give me a make and model number for a clamshell that will mount on an eXmark 48" TT?

Thanks, Ed
  10. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

If you are working alone, I suggest not to overload the tarps as they will be heavy and hard to toss in the truck. Leaves are light and you can put alot on a tarp, but grass clippings are a different story. I have also seen where guys make ramps to drive from their trailer to the truck and dump direct into the truck.