Clarification between power raking and dethatching needed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bill8379, Mar 7, 2008.

1. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a PR18 Bluebird with flail blades.

I've done two seasons of spring clean ups but I still don't know what the difference between power raking and dethatching is.

This is my problem, the new spring season is coming up and I only want to fluff up the grass and get a minimum of thatch out. I feel that with the flail blades I'm taking out WAY TOO much dead and live grass. So I'm thinking of switching to tines.

With tines on, is it still power raking? and will this do a good job making the lawn look good for the power raking season?

How much is a tine roll, whatever it's called?

Have I been unintentially dethatching the first few spring clean up seasons?
  2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I would say yes.... the flails dethatch, the tines power rake. The tines are much less agressive than the flails are. Problem is, tines break a lot, and have to be replaced.

Let me qualify my statement... I've rented a Blue Bird with flails, and it tore stuff up too much. This year, I've picked up so many zoysia lawns, I decided to buy the Husky unit, which is the same unit as the Blue Bird. Husqvarna bought Blue Bird... RedMax too. I haven't used the unit with tines yet, I get it on Monday, but the factory rep was pretty honest with me.

He said the tines have to be replaced regularly, but do a better job for power raking zoysia... not as agressive, doesn't pull nearly as much up. I wil test it on my own rye/blue/fescue lawn on Monday, weather permitting.

I ordered the unit with some kind of not sure what it actually is yet, but it's easier to replace the roller on it according to both the Husky rep and my dealer. Switching from tines, to flails to the seeder box is supposed to be easier and faster.

Hope that helps... I can post more on Monday after I egt the new machine.
  3. bill8379

I was looking in my manual and the individual tines look easy to replace, just one bolt I think. It's friday, dam, I won't be able to price out a tine roll till monday. But yeah, let me know how you're set up works.
  4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting question !!
  5. Whitey4

Yeah, the tines are easy to replace, and they are pretty cheap. It's more a time thing than a cost issue. I'll likely get at least ten extra tines when I get the new unit. The unit I am getting is the DR22. Husky part number, same as the Blue Bird XX22.
  6. bill8379

I wish I would have gotten the 22 as well. I didn't know anything about power raking when I bought my PR18. With the 22 I would have the option of trying the bagging system. I think that dealer just sold me what HE wanted to sell rather then selling what would be handy. I spent $6000 bucks there and when winter came around I brought my snow blower to get fixed, I told them I didn't know they sold snow blowers but I had already bought one from Home Depot. They took three weeks to fix it and they took their time because I didn't buy it from them. Still po'd about that.

Last spring I bought a $4000 mower with mulch kit and they lost that sale because of the "snow blower incident":laugh: I bought from someone else.
  7. Whitey4

These dealers can be pretty freakin stupid. I would already have all my new Husky stuff, but even though they are a dealer, they weren't set up for the Husky credit program. The Husky rep has two of the 4 machines I will buy in his trailer... the dealer had Blue Birds in stock. I wanted to use this dealer because he's been here in my home town for 50 years.

When I walk in on Monday morning, he better have all my ducks lined up in a row.... or I'll drive 4 miles to another dealer. If he can't get off his ass for a $3000 order.... what will happen when I need service? If he has my stuff ready to go, fine. If not... I'll read him the riot act and never set foot in the place again. This is too easy... all set up by the Husky rep and I. A virtual gift wrapped order. If he isn't ready.... see ya later pal! Say goodbye to selling me oil, trimmer line, safety equipment, backpack sprayers...

If I sound skeptical... I am. The guy gave me zero warm fuzzies when I spoke to him, my first contact with the owner instead of the counter guys. He said "Hey, I'll take the business anyway I can get it." I almost hope he screws it up on Monday now.... not a good start. How about saying "glad to have you as a customer!" This guy seems to think I need him, not the other way around.
  8. bill8379

He said that because you're financing? That is pretty poor, I pay cash but I still get treated like they are doing me a favor the NEXT time I walk in to browse. I've seen the same owner spend half an hour with a guy that has a decent sized operation while more then a few of us were just waiting and waiting.

On the other hand, I did buy a couple push mowers and when I brought them in for fixing, I picked it up the next day. If you buy it from them they fix it up right away. That's actually when I mentioned to him that I brought in my snow blower (this was last summer) and I had to wait three weeks even though I'm a contractor. He said, 'where did you buy it' I told him home depot and he says, 'well we're not going to help out their customers' I was like:confused:

I felt like telling him I bought a $4000 mower I bought from his competitor because of that delay but I didn't. They are a good dealer though, in fact I've done business with a few others and they never have the parts in stock or like the guy I bought the Toro 36 from, I have to drive right across town, about 40 mins. Between a rock and hard place.
  9. Whitey4

I have a lot of dealers nearby to pick from. This place I can actually walk to. I have 80% of the cash for what I'm about to buy, but with this zero interest for 90 days thing Husky is running, I figure why not? That way, I buy it all now, get it paid off and keep my cash in hand situation healthier. The money I will save on renting in March alone will make up for that 20% and then some.

I wanted to use ONE dealer, ONE guy I could rely on.... and I'm not gettin the warm fuzzies. I can drive 4 miles if it means I will be treated like an appreciated customer, as opposed to "business any way I can get it". That is why I am actually hoping this guy screws it up.... no warm fuzzies. People still buy from people. If I had his attitude, I'd never get any new customers. I play with the annoying dog in the kitchen when I sit with my new prospects. Warm fuzzies.... oh what a cutie this little barking yapper is! I hope it won't pee on my leg! hahaha!
  10. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Power raking is setting blades deeper and leaving lines or slices in the soil - like a rake. Dethatching is not too deep just getting up the dead grass off the top of the soil. So it depends on how deep you set the thines. You can set them at any depth on a turf revitalizer.