class is in session

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by treegal1, Sep 1, 2008.

1. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

ok so we have a farm, no scratch that a class room, oh, um class grounds, maybe thats the word we wanted. Its nothing special just some flood prone land that has the worst soil in the world, its sandy with clay base and some rocks and lots of shells, its not flat and not hilly, it has 5 distinct zones to it. A tree farm that has palms and natives. A flat no till farm plot. 2 plots of rice patty( I hope it gets that dry).we plan on using it for wild rice, yucca, taro, and some large wet lands palms that do well to be under water. the 5 and largest part of the farm is a spot that the 18 foot alligator keeps his harem corralled in, we just don't go over there.the tree farm is also going to double as a sod farm and test plot( god I want to grow grass from seed!!). we will also have the algae and water treatment area on this plot. the part just next to it is going to be a food plot, not really a farm for sale( although we have it sold already.LOLOL)but more of an experiment on a grand scale, can a 1 acre garden support the needs of 25 people? that what we plan on finding out, we have seen it done, but just want to drive the point home in color pictures! the 2 one acre patty's are going to be the hardest to work and the best yielding plots! we are planing to raise some rice and lots of other great things in this snot like mud that is almost 2 acres. the last and fifth plot is old Ali gator's home. Ali is not a friend of man or beast only a very aggressive and mean unevoled eating machine that has shook out an existence for a really long time, he will live happily until i get a permit to cap his a$$!!! don't cry about it he has fathered almost 300 others that are just waiting to take his place, its just he is large to the point that he can easily kill some one!!! 18 feet of rage!!!

that's it for now, oh some pics..........

2. treegal1

lovely big trees and lots of bugs, the garlic is going in the ground asap!!!

!cid_59.jpg

!cid_836.jpg

!cid_506.jpg

!cid_136.jpg

3. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

do I hear some new alligator skin chaps coming into the picture soon? Maybe a coat as well?

I dare you to go wrestle with it... pull a Happy Gilmore on it, or a Crocodile Hunter... I hear is you hold the tip of its mouth shut it isn't strong enough to open it... make sure you have a video camera with you when you try it... :laugh:

4. treegal1

LOLOL, ok so here hold my beer there happy gilmore, and the video, I need my good hand free to smack him up side his mug. we are actually going to have to fish for him, like with a line and hook, after you get him landed then you can use a bang stick, but no "just roll on him and bust a cap". they don't want stinking alligator corpse floating around. so you have to hook it and haul it.

5. treegal1

ok so on the agenda for the farm today, plant some palms, crimp cut the no till field (rodale style roller). and put some tea out there, after that, we are going to put the garlic in and call it a day. more pics as they come, fun stuff

6. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

That's exciting Tree, I'm happy for you!

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Boooooo .... soap box time.

That gator has more right to be there than you! It has called that place home for how long? Why is it every time "man" wants to take over nature, it ends up being ... kill everything they don't like or want.

Learn to co-exist with the angry mofo or find another place for your "school"!

8. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

Treegal,

Do you know something about growing wild rice? I thought it only grew further north.

9. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

How about a fence?

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

That is a good place to start. :)