Class presentation

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by RhettMan, Apr 27, 2008.

1. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Guys i have a presentation over my business proposal, a basic service lawn company. I need some advice on the demographic characteristics of my "ideal customer". Im not really sure what that is since im just starting out. What would you guys say is my target market's description, age, matital status, wealth, location etc?

2. Depends on the company.

I prefer more residential - for several reasons.

Some here prefer commercial properties..

I'll speak for myself.

Ideally,

Seniors and upper-middle class and up are the target.

Seniors because if you get in good with them, you'll have them forever.
    Wealthier clients in upper-priced neighborhoods tend to value family-life more, and are also generally "white-collar" and are:
    A.) Too lazy to do it
    B.) Too wealthy to do it
    C.) Too tired to do it (or lack of time)

As for married or single - married for sure, because there is more "family-life" taking away their time.

Age range - again, seniors or mid-late 40's and up.

Location wise - simple.. The neighborhoods where you can gain the most business - 5 on one street vs. in a 10-mile area saves you (at today's prices anyway) 5-10 bucks a week (or more) just for those 5

3. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My demographic is similar to escient's. My youngest customer is probably my preacher, and I think he's 51. Most of mine are probably in their 60s and a couple might be in their 70s. These people are good customers because they usually have health limitations on the amount of yard work they can do and they have a good bit of money. The retired folks are great because they aren't affected by gas prices much since they don't drive much. They do want to spend more on their homes since they spend more time there than anyplace else. Small business owners are usually pretty good, too. They work long hours and don't have time to care for their yard, but when they are home, they want it to be nice.