1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Classen kicked my .......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by twins_lawn_care, Apr 12, 2004.

1. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Well, it was the opening weekend for us this past week, and man did we have the work. We're a very small operation compared to some, and I operate solo, so when it piles up, I have to tighten the boot straps. Aerating and De-thatching all weekend with Classen equipment. Today, I feel like I was hit by a truck. I must say, it is a rewarding feeling to know you are out there working for yourself. I would not have made it through the 14 hour friday, and 10 hour saturday though had I been making money for someone else.

Anyone else ever use any Classen equipment. Personally, I thought the aerator was too heavy/bulky and think I'll look for the Ryan's from now on.

Good luck to everyone this season, sounds like people are doing pretty well, and hope this turns out to be a successful year for everyone!
  2. Josey Wales

Josey Wales LawnSite Member

Twins I have been thinking just the opposite lol. The Ryan's is the only aerator I've ever used and I heard about these Classen aerators that are supposed to turn without pulling the tines out of the soil and thus making them a LOT less stressful to operate.

I assume that since the Classen you used wore you out that it wasn't one of these newer models? Did you have to raise the unit up to make your turns?

The Ryan aerators have always worked great for me but I do feel like I just finished a wrestling match with a grizzly bear after I'm finished.
  3. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

Run from the Ryan's! I purchased a used lawnaire 4 when I started my business after a few days of 12 hours in the feild and 9 hours in bed wanting to die I purchased a Rock Solid Pluger and I swear it's like night and day. I have never seen a tool as superior at what it's supposed to do.

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Where did you buy your rock solid? I have been looking all over and only seem to find them in the east coast or mid west. I am not about to pay 400 for shipping when I can get a bluebird for 1700 already here. That would make the plugr around 2500 bucks.
  5. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i am also thinking about getting a plugger, a guy buy me sells them, and i saw them at expo looks much better than the ryans and bluebirds that i use now, OUCH THE BLISTERS AND BACK!
  6. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

I bought mine direct from Rock Solid. It's worth the extra money and besides, it's cheaper than a chiropractor (sp)?
  7. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I just requested some info from Rock Solid on their Plugr's, so hopefully by the fall, my body won't dread the aeration days of hell!

The Classen I used seemed extremely heavy, and also had the additional weights to put into the front. I was lifting the wheels at every turn, just to not rut the turf, which made for a long day.

The Classen had such a small front wheel(s) it made it harder to turn without destroying the lawn, which the Ryan's drum was a bit more maneuverable.

Bottom line, is I'll be researching this, and hopefully having a better experience this fall, and hopefully with a Plugr, or something similar to save the pain!