Classen Sod Cutter

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by joallen001, Jan 31, 2008.

1. joallen001

joallen001 LawnSite Member
    from TN

Has anyone had experience with these sod cutters? What did you think compared to other sod cutters?

2. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Ryan is the way to go for sod cutters...

3. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

You should really look at the Turfco KisKutter. Easier to use, less money, less maint, anyone can run it. It will do things you cannot do with the bigger cutters due to it's weight of 140 lbs. See it at Turfco.com

4. joallen001

from TN

I actually know someone who has a KisKutter for sale for 1000 but I am not sure what kind of shape it is in. Do the kiscutter's cut as deep as the other sod cutters available

5. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

how deep do you need to go? going too deep makes for a nightmare of a job, too much dirt..That turfco one looks cheap as hell. It might work great for an occasional job. But I dont think it would hold up to the rigors of daily sod cutting abuse. And for $2500, I would rather buy a used commercial unit, of for $4000 pick up a brand new one. I bought a used ryan from a tool rental place last year for $2500, well maintained, excellent condition, paid for itself many times and I have never looked back.

I wouldnt touch that turfco piece....

just my $0.02

6. joallen001

from TN

Have you used a turfco. I found a rental place that is about thirty minutes away from home my home town. He has 1 ryan and 3 turfco sod cutters. Told me that as soon as he gets rid of the ryan all he would carry is the turfco sod cutters.