1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

classen split reel aerator ripping up the turf...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Sep 10, 2003.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

been useing the classen split reel for 2 seasons now and just this yr. i been seeing the turf being ripped up when i turn...
    not just on 1 lawn its on all//
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the lesco split drive and have been renting one for two seasons before this. It will tear up the turf when turning if you try to turn too tight, to get the next pass. This happens because you are letting off the one side that you are turning on, and the tines stop, causing it to tear up turf. I will go over the outside of the area at least three times, then start making straight passes, because that is a lot quicker. Now when the ground is bare, or there is thin turf, I will turn it tight and go over a couple of times to rough it up good. That is one reason that I liked this machine.
    It could be because the ground is wet, that will cause it to tear the turf too, but still the machine is turining too tight and one set of tines are stopped, causing it to tear the turf.
  3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Ant...with all this rain we've had this season, I'd bet the root structure is not as strong as in past years when it was dry. One would think the opposite, but those roots didn't have to work too hard this year.

I'll let you know what I get with my Lesco/Classen Split-Drive...I am starting aerations monday.
  4. Welp, that happens when you turn to tight, but then again are you also seeding? If so, then no worries.