Classen TA-25D aerator pulling to left

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by NoSweat, Sep 19, 2007.

1. NoSweat

NoSweat LawnSite Member

Does anybody know how to get more tension on the v-belts? I thought I could loosen the locking bolt on the idler arm, twist it a little and lock it back down but there is a groove in the idler arm that prevents that. I don't see a way of adjusting any of the other pulleys either.

2. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

maybe your belts are stretched out of the adjustment range.

3. NoSweat

NoSweat LawnSite Member

I went by a Classen dealer today and other than shifting the engine forward the remaining 3/4" or cutting and then shortening the cables, there is no way to adjust. I'm trying to find replacement belts now at local auto shops but it appears replacing the belts is going to be a major undertaking as well. I guess they thought they designed this with lifetime belts.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If this unit came with raw-edge belts from the factory that's what you should put back on unless you can change them in fifteen minutes. Most auto store belts are wrapped belts and these will last no time in place of a raw-edge.

If it came with wrapped belts go for it !

Most all OEM's field test their equipment and choose the best belt for the application.

5. NoSweat

NoSweat LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys. I found the original equipment belts at Lesco, who carries the same aerator, except it's painted green. Installed them pretty quickly and adjusted the tension slightly by shifting the engine forward. Feild tested it Saturday and it works fine.