Classen Ts-20 Overseeder

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by precator, Aug 25, 2013.

1. precator

precator LawnSite Member

Anyone have any experience using one of them? Does it work well for overseeding?

2. Othertime

Othertime LawnSite Member

works great as long as you don't use the seeder box on the machine (box is inaccurate). Broadcast your seed first then slit seed with the machine.

3. precator

precator LawnSite Member

isn't the opposite? slit seed first without seed, then do broadcast seeding?

4. Othertime

I used one last year and broadcase 1/2 rate seed first then slit in one direction, then broadcast the other 1/2 seed then slit 45 degrees to the first pass then watered in. I found that the disc on the slit seeder busted up the 1/4 to 1/2 top dirt and combined with the seed to make a nice seedbed. Most of your rental seeders drop seed infront of the verticutting discs so I would rather trust my broadcast spreader than the drop seed box on the front of the slit seeder.

5. precator

precator LawnSite Member

I killed off a lot of my grass with round-up. Would you still broadcast seed on top of that? Just trying to get the best germination possible, any help would be greatly appreciated.

6. Othertime

I killed off 10k last fall with RU, scalped the lawn, added starter fert, seeded with the above method, watered 3 times daily for a month at about 10 minutes a zone.

oh I used the classen ts-20.

7. precator

precator LawnSite Member

nice did it come in well?

8. Othertime

very nice. Make sure you use the best seed you can get your hands on and has 0 weed seed, 0 other crop on the bag.

9. mooch91

mooch91 LawnSite Member

Just picked up a lightly used TS-20. I agree - the hopper on the unit is not so good, especially for small seed (KBG). Maybe mine could use to be replaced, but it does not seal very well when closed and I can't imagine it spreads with any accuracy. Did my first lawn with it using the above method - broadcast, slit, broadcast at 45 degrees, slit at 45 degrees. I won't know how it's working for a couple of weeks...

Mine was a former rental unit, picked it up for $400. Changed oil, greased shaft, a little Seafoam in carb, plug and air filter were new. Runs great!

10. Colonel Forbin

Colonel Forbin LawnSite Member

I will be renting one of these, I already purchased top quality seed and starter fertilizer.

My plan was to:
    Cut grass short
    Broadcast Starter
    Slit using Clausen
    broadcast seed
    45 angle with Clausen
    Broadcast seed

Water

Does this sound right.

My yard needs aeration how should I factor this in?