Classen Vs Bluebird

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by branhamt, Sep 29, 2003.

1. branhamt

branhamt LawnSite Member

Hi, I am looking for first hand knowledge on comparing a few aerators.

1. New Classen split drive $950

2. Used Bluebird $850

I have used both machines this weekend. The bluebird is alot
    lighter. Classen-Heavy. So please give me your opions on there reliability.

Any thoughts???? Pro or Con

Thanks
    Tom

2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used a couple different blue birds and they are good mahcines. They can make wide turns without having to lift the unit. yuo have to be carful besause in some conditions when too wet or week turf with all the power going to those cnter tines they can act like a tiller. another thing with the bluebnirds is they have weights on the sides, If you have a slope to go across take the downhill weight out and go across, at the other end turn around, take the weight that you have and put it on the uphill side, then go back across the slope.
    I havn't tried a classed but would like to. I also want to try a turfco turnarator.

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Where are you getting a price like that??? Lesco is selling them for almost $3k.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I use the bluebird as my main WB aerator. It's a good dependable machine that pulls good plugs. It is heavy and awkward in tight areas and a beast to turn around. Like Paul said, it will make large turns ok, but the unit moves fast. This is good for areas you have a long run. I have never ran one for more than 30 minutes at a time. For right now this is ok for me, but there is no way I could aerate all day with this machine without dropping dead from exhaustion half way through. Personally, I would save the money and go and buy yourself a Plugr by Rock Solid. You might spend $3K, but you are getting what you pay for. If you have the money, the classen and bluebird would both make good back up machines. Another down fall with the bluebird is the aearating width, 17.5". While the Plugr is 30" and much easier to manuver. I don't own one (yet), but I have demoed one.

MATT

5. branhamt

branhamt LawnSite Member

Scraper, check your local HD tool rental dept. That is why I said the bluebird is used-rental machine. I do know almost all
    stores sell equipment after a certain time period and if it is in season for the tool.

I would love to demo the Pluger, I just need a dealer close????

Thanks
    Tom

6. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I know you said used bluebird...I was talking about where you said "New" Classen split-drive....personally...I am not into buying used equipment...especially from a rental shop where it gets beat on....

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

A guy walks into Home Depot where they are selling their bluebird aerators for $225. He buys all 3 of them, goes home and starts calling LCO's out of the phone book (I was one of them) and offers them for $450. I said no way, but took his address anyways. I just happen to be in his neighborhood so I swing by to take a look at them. I see them on his front lawn and you would not believe the shape these things are in. Clean as a whistle and starts on the first pull. I bought one and wish I would have bought both at that price. Actually I made an offer for the pair, but he turned me down, so I just bought the one.

Point is, just because it's a rental does not mean that they get more beat than a LCO will beat it. If it is a true commercial unit it is designed and engineered to take more abuse than if not. I am not bashing you for not buying used, to each his own. Personally I think it ok buying used as long as you know what you are buying.

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Where are you getting a Classen Split drive for $950???? I'll take 5 myself, have the cash ready.

No compairson between the two, your statement answers your question....the Classen is heavy, that's what you need ----weight.

9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I do know there are different sizes of the bluebird and others. I think the 17" has 4 tine wheels. I ran one the other day with 7 wheels. the one I usually rent has 6.