1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Classic tow rigs or service vehicles?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Just Turned Pro, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Just Turned Pro

Just Turned Pro LawnSite Member

Just curious if any of you use a classic or restored tow or service vehicle for your maint. or landscaping company? Are they worth the effort and money to restore for that "unique" look that you get? Or, are they too much work to maintain compared to new vehicles? I have always loved trucks from the 30's and the 50's and would love to be able to put one to use for a unique look for my company, but I am hesitant because I fear that it will be a money pit and I'll probably just end up using my F-250 anyway.

Also, post a pic or your classic if you have one.
  2. ladibugg

ladibugg LawnSite Member

Not only do they take continuous care and money, but when they break-down it can take forever to find your parts. If you have lots of extra cash it can be a great hobby. If you want a work truck, buy a new work truck. I have a bit of experience with restorations and to use one on a daily basis is very frustrating. They insurance also gets hairy because they have nothing to compare it to so they try to get you to pay much but return little if you have an accident.
  3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

This could be a great method of getting people to notice you but I agree that parts can be a problem and you can't have breakdowns during the mowing season. This would be nice if you had the money and a very dependable backup vehicle to use.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Not only do they cost a fortune to restore (not to mention ALOT of time) but after I put all that into it, it would be in the garage. I would not risk it getting scratched or beat up as a work truck. :cool:
  5. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

Well its not from the 40's or 50's but it is from 1978. A f-150 loaded w/ 400 cu. in. While I do wish I had a newer f-250 for work I must say I do get alot of comments on my truck. Especially before the fender bender I had!!!:( I do love my old truck but will retire it from work next year when I purchase a new one. I'll still keep the old one and hopefully finish the restoration on it.

equipment pics 001.jpg
  6. jason r.

Here's what happened when I was going 40mph and an old man pulled out in front of me.:mad: I barely even felt him! Them old trucks are built like tanks! (Even knocked the damn 'R' off the hood)

equipment pics 007.jpg
  7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I like your truck jason, thats to bad about the crash.

The classic truck idea is a better platform for advertising than a new truck. I would only use it for estimates personally.
  8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am rebuilding/restoring a 1958 Dodge Power Giant, W200 4x4 pickup. I plan on having my company name on the doors. I will display it at car shows and drive it in parades. Should be good advertising. I may use it to pull my equipment trailers from time to time, but not on a regular basis.
    I also have a 1959 Dodge W300M Power Wagon that I am going to restore next. It will be used in the same way as the 58.
    I would not want to use them daily, as it is to hard to get parts for them.:D
  9. jason r.

That's my plan exactly. Will buy a f-250 for daily towing and retire the other. When I complete the resto, I'll use it on the weekends and to give estimates.

I definitly found out the parts thing after the wreck. Can't even find a body shop to give me an estimate! Tracked down about 90% of the parts through classic truck catalogs on my own. Guess I'll be teaching myself body work soon:confused:

I also wouldn't recommend a resto truck for daily towing. Everthing that needs to be bought for it, needs to be special ordered. However, it is a great way to advertise your biz.
  10. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Jason,that model ford is my favorite.I HAD 79 4x4,wish I would have saved it for my boy.I will own another one day!:(