Classified Ad

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by barryd, Feb 27, 2003.

1. barryd

barryd LawnSite Member
    from KY

Here in KY, there is 3 inches of snow on the ground, but some are starting to run their classified ads.
    Is it too early with us being a good four weeks away from mowing?
    I don't want to miss the boat on potnetial new clients.
    Also, do you guys feel that business t-shirts and hats are efective.
    What about lettering a truck?

Thanks!!!:)

2. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

we started running our ad a month ago. In my eyes its not to early. If you have the money to do it know go for it my ads in the paper costs me $500 a month. But ask your ad person if you can put a display ad in the paper under the services section. I used to run a in column ad early last year then i sat down and thought why should i be like every other comp. so instead i went with an ad !" X 2" my calls doubled. This year another company much larger than me decided to follow in my footsteps and put there ad by mine 2x the size of mine. I live in Wisconsin and i right now get a call on lawns every other day!!
    Jason

3. SR Landscaping

SR Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from NJ

IT'S NOT TOO EARLY!
    I DON'T Advertise, and I've already gotten some calls. Go for it!
    And around here, if you have Commercial plates I believe by LAW you have to letter your truck. I use Magnetics, Good luck.:blob3:

4. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm considering running ads year-round! Anything to get the name out there ..
    ;)

5. JMcDaniel

JMcDaniel LawnSite Member

I asked my local paper about any discounts for running an ad all summer. They offered to run a 1x2 ad in the business section (better than classifieds) twice a week for three months for only $99. It will also run in thier weekly community service paper. This was almost a $350 discount over purchasing week by week or month by month. Be sure and ask for specials if you are going to be using the same ad for 3 months or more.

6. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to advertise in a community newspaper that is included with the local paper twice per week. For 1 month (8 editions) 4 lines it is $60. If I do it for a year it is $30 per month. I did it in Oct and Nov and got 2 new customers and about 5 phone calls. I should get more responses in the spring and summer. Getting your name out there is very important, especially on a consistent basis.

7. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Im looking to be putting ad in the local free paper here soon. Last year their were a good amount of companies in the area that had their ad in this paper so I'm guessing its a worth putting an ad in it. Dont know about prices yet totally, in a couple weeks I'm going to start, considering we might get alittle snow tommorow, most people are still in winter mode but I'm getting excited.
    Hey LawnsRus which paper you in??? Ya with temps being near 50 last week i bet you had callers.:cool:
    Matt

8. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Hey Matt,
    How ahve you been long time no talk yea snow is on the way i guess? I got quite a few jobs off of the warm weather. No iam in the Lake country papers (CNI Newspapers) they i think run in your area. The papers are Lake country reporter, sussex sun, Focus, buyers guide oconomowoc focus kettle moraine index they cover all of waukesha county. It hits over 50,000 people mondays wednesdays and thursdays. I can set you up with a great rep if you want. I spend about $400-500 in ads a month i run under landsaping lawn and garden plowing and tree service. I hope that helps check it up 50 cents for a copybut i get about *3-5* calls a day off my ads iam not sure if that is a good response.

9. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Hey lawnsrus
    Yeah flurries right now here and they still say 1-3 by tonight???
    Anyways, I've heard of the CNI newspaper, problem is around here we have different free newspapers, like the one im going to be going in is The Hartford Booster. The area covers like 19,000 people, but i could also go and pay extra for distribution in West Bend but not certain yet if im going to go up that far yet, have a job that I'm bidding on up that way so depends on that.
    The price seems alittle steep per month but if your getting calls like crazy its worth it, but its CNI news so thats alittle more elaborate news area plus with your coverage area. If you find out that they run in the Richfield, Erin Hartford, SLinger, Jackson area and Germantown area let me know.
    Matt

10. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I am running ad's in our newspaper and a free clssified ad paper started on the 1st but the local paper put my ad under help wanted accounting, banking so I have gotten calls asking if Im hiring the paper is sopposed to correct this today. It cost $74 in the local paper for a month and $28 in the free paper for a month and I paid $68 for the season in a weekly paper.