Classified Ads

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DaveRave07, Apr 10, 2005.

1. DaveRave07

DaveRave07 LawnSite Member
    from NY

Just curious any tips or advice as to what works best in a classified ad? This is my first year in business and still working on getting more accounts.

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

yes
    when i did yard work , i had 3 adds in the paper , each with a different phone # , each add read differently and all three phone #s went to the same phone .
    If there were 6 adds for yard work , I was half of them .
    The name of my company was "The Yard Birds "

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Yes they do work, at least for us. We run a little ad in a "Penny Saver" paper for about $38.00, I've ran this ad for 2 years now totalling about $200.00 and its made us well over 5k.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

If you offer different services and that is what you are marketing, list them. My best responses from the newspaper came from listing all my services and inverting the ad.

5. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

For classified ads I always try to have the largest ad, and many times will have the entire ad printed in bold text. You need to make your ad stand out against all the others. You pay more this way, but I normally have good results.

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi DaveRave07,

One thing that we have read is how important it is to have something catchy at the top of your ad. Don't put your name at top. Put something that will grab the readers eye.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Good point Gopher! I always start the heading with "AFFORDABLE". I put it in bold and double-lines. I then list my services in smaller print along with phone number.