1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tthomass, Oct 12, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

What are some of your safety clauses in your agreements to protect yourself on the site.

A) I have listed stone is a natural product with natural tendencies. Rough finishes, color variations, size variations etc etc

B) Don't warranty transplanted plant material.

C) I have a rock clause. I mention obstacles such as rocks and stumps and logs.....put into effect a rock and equipment abuse clause, doubling the hourly rate.

Curious what some of your favorite particulars are. Or, perhaps one that stands out in your mind that has really saved your butt a few times etc. Each job I'm on I seem to come up with another addition. I've got a bunch of things listed but of course can't remembe what they are without having a contract in front of me, which I don't at the moment. Some people have pages of things listed out and just wonder what details they are hitting on. Maybe something that they were burned on in the past.
  2. thefed

thefed LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

dog turd clause
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Ripouts are a biggie, wire mesh, rebar, fiber mesh = + + + . Efflorescence another biggie. No warranties on transplants, watering issues, sub contactors, etc etc etc. CYA in my book.
  4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Removal of Asphalt / Concrete: This proposal does not include removal of asphalt or concrete, unless otherwise noted. In the event this proposal specifies any removal of such, additional costs will be implied in the event the asphalt and or concrete is found to exceed a thickness of 4-inches.
  5. DVS Hardscaper

Transplanting Existing Living Plants: Client will indemnify and hold Contractor harmless from all resulting claims, liability, and/or responsibility for deceased or damaged plants from a result of transplanting.
  6. DVS Hardscaper

Hardscape products such as, but not limited to, interlocking concrete pavers, retaining wall block, steps, caps, corner units, curbing, and natural stone are comprised of natural ingredients; hardscape products will vary slightly in color and blend batch-by-batch depending on environmental conditions. Therefore, colors shouldn’t be expected to be an exact match of any particular unit. This includes any completed jobs or displays Client may have visited, as well as brochures, and other advertisements Client may have seen or be in possession of.
  7. Hokie84

Hokie84 LawnSite Member

These clauses are very helpful; I haven't been in this business long enough to have dealt with many of these conditions. However, after a bad experience this past spring, I now include a daily rate that clients will be charged for work stoppage due to their failure to deal with the homeowner's association
  8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Overdig is a big one.
  9. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

i second the over dig clause. i started that this season, but not soon enough on one the first jobs we did this year. ended up bringing in 24" of 3/4 clean on a patio. the homeowner was understanding and paid for the stone and we ate the labor because their contract did not have the new clause in it about over dig.