Clay ground.....compost or topsoil???????

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by New Image Lawn and Scapes, Mar 7, 2006.

1. New Image Lawn and Scapes

New Image Lawn and Scapes LawnSite Member

I have a customer whos ground is pretty nasty. It is that clay sand like crap. What should I do to ammend it? It is about 10,000 sq. ft. How much will I need? Thanks in advance.
  2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Is it soil around new construction? Can you feel grains of sand if you rub the soil between your fingers? If it really is a sandy clay there is a slight risk of plugging up what little pore space there is with organic matter. It's harder to say without a particle size analysis. I would go with a 2" layer of compost tilled into a depth of 6-8". Avoid working the soil when it is wet. That might be how it got to be so bad (rough grading was done when the soil was mud). Good luck. I have a similar job coming up that is only 900 sq ft. Customer wants us to replace 8" of soil. That's a lot of money.
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I disagree..there is no risk adding compost to sandy won't fill any remaining pore space with it.All you will be doing is improving the soil structure.
    I recommend at least twice that amount of compost or more.
  4. Going to all that work, GET A SOIL TEST FIRST!!!

Don't add topsoil ontop of that concrete (clay sand mix)

Add the proper nutrients to correct soil chemistry, add well decomposted compost, 2-4 inches, till in well to depth of 6-8 inches.

1 yd will cover 108 sq ft at 3 inch depth.

It's the sand in the mix that is the real killer
  5. PlantSolutions

PlantSolutions LawnSite Member

Never add topsoil to anything. You never know where the soil has come from. It comes mainly from construction sites. Definitely use compost or something like mushroom soil which has a lot of nutrients in the soil.
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Nobody said anything about adding topsoil that I read here... oops sorry it is in the title.
  7. By definition, topsoil is the most outer soil, that's why it's call topsoil.

Topsoil on a beach along the water, proably all sand!

just because you buy topsoil, that doesn't mean it is good!