clay tennis court maintenance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thartz, Feb 1, 2003.

1. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone ever done this before? I started caring for 2 courts last year and it is fairly profitable IMHO.It isn't very difficult either.We spread 20 bags of clay top coat twice per year.My client had me talk to the head grounds keeper at our local country club and he was nice enough to let me spend an entire day learning.

2. McNeal Lawn

McNeal Lawn LawnSite Member

How often are you maintaining courts? From my experience clay courts are high maintenance item, especially if done daily, considering the steps required, hand leveling, watering, and rolling to compact courts, and then sweeping off the tape lines. I remember looking forward to a good rain, soaking courts prior to maintenance, even with installed irrigation, which never seemed to water courts sufficently, that rain made maintenace easier.

3. thartz

We did the heavy chores;applying clay and mostly sweeping.We were used as a on call basis.Both clients did most of the daily duties and both have auto sprinkler systems that we monitored for repairs.It usaullydepends on how much use the courts were getting

4. thartz

BTW these are clints that are on our route every 5-6 days plus lots of bed maintenance so I have someone there a lot of the time.That's why I say as a add on "high maintenace" sounds very attractive to me.I would have never thought of this market had my clients noy asked me to.