1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

clean a filter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, Mar 23, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

what is the best way to clean an air filter? I've always used gasoline, which doesn't work real well...
  2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally use compressed air to clean my air filters. This may not be the best way, but it seems to work very well.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Sponge airfilters on lawnboys and 2 cycle equipment, wash with warm water and soap, let air dry, and re-oil.

Paper elements get thrown away and buy new. Cheap insurance to make your engine last a long time.

4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Foam air filter elements can be washed with warm soapy water. I use a 'grease cutting' dishwashing detergent.

Once it is good and clean just rinse it out throughly and squeeze out the excess water. Let it dry (I let mine sit overnight) and then give it a dose of clean motor oil and wring it out good to squeeze out any excess oil and distribute the oil evenly throughout the filter.

Then you are good to go until it needs cleaning again.

Do not attempt to clean a paper element using the above technique.
  5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Looks like Matt can type alot faster than I can. :)
  6. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Using compressed air on the paper element is a very bad idea!! It opens it up and lets particles through.
  7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

And a dirty filter actuall cleans better than a new one...........go figure.

I do use my blower to knock the loose stuff off, if you use compressed air hold the filter a couple feet away from the nozzle. It does open the pores in the paper and let larger, more damaging particles through.
  8. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

We carry extra sponge elements pre-oiled in a baggy. If we mow in extremley dusty areas, we go ahead and change the sponge.
  9. karl klein

karl klein LawnSite Member

you should never blow a paper filter out becuase it in larges the holes in the media. when i used to work at aauto shop we would have a lot of pluged needles from this