clean deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

just how important is it to have a squeaky clean deck? i power spray under there every week. is this enough? sometimes there's a lot of buildup, i was just wondering if this effect the blades productivity. i just figured that since its all clogged up, that makes less room for the clippings to move around and be chopped up finely.
    also, is there anything you can apply or spray under the deck to prevent grass from sticking? especially wet grass.
    thanks

2. Hoosier Mower

Hoosier Mower LawnSite Member

I'd say it hurts the discharge of the clippings more than anything. It does affect the actuall cutting to oh if the deck is plugged.

3. lakeviewnw

lakeviewnw LawnSite Member

A lot of people swear by "Mo-Deck" which is a great product to spray on the underside of the deck to prevent build-up. You might try it out !

4. bill--bls

bill--bls LawnSite Member

we just started using Mo-Deck this week. we love it, try it

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

As suggested you may want to try Mo-Deck. I personally do not use any sprays or paint on products. I merely scrape the deck each time I change blades on the mower. This not only helps prevent rust, the spreading of lawn diseases but also helps the deck to perform as it was designed to rather then being all clogged up with clippings.

6. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I clean out as needed. I used Mo-Deck for a while and it was good stuff. I need to reorder. I see a big difference when I clean out my deck. It even sounds different. Clean it up!!:)

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you're pressurewashing underneath your deck, this is one of the wortst things you can do for your mower, especially if you have a sealed bearing unit. This just gives it too much exposure to soap and water that can contaminate your spindle bearings. The soap will eat the grease right out of them. A good scraping is the best thing to do. When you cut wet grass, that stuff always gets wet and replaced, anyway.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

u ask how important is a clean deck.
    u just not going to get your best output unless u at least start the job with the deck clear.a totally packed deck can even blow the grass dn ,so u blade dont even get a shot at it.its just an ongoing problem . modeck helps tho.

9. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

the deck is clogged 5 min. after u start cutting anyway

10. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

if you cant get hold of mo-deck then try using regular pam(the cooking spray) but be careful your wife might not want you to take it out of the kitchen. i keep me a can in the tool box.