Clean Gutters & Wash Bottom

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ranger351w, Jun 14, 2006.

1. ranger351w

ranger351w LawnSite Member

GOOD MORNING

I got a call from a customer that wants her gutters cleaned, not unusual. But she also wants to have me wash the green stains off of the underside of the aluminum guttering. has anyone heard or done this? If so what would take the green algae off of them and hand wash or power???:drinkup:
    A.S.D.S. Mowing

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

if they're white, i'd think a bleach solution would work if you're careful not to get it on any dark siding or anything. i have used a pressure washer before, but it was on the vinyl style, never tried it on aluminum.

3. firemanmsmith

firemanmsmith LawnSite Member

I don't know much about the lawn care bus. but I have been in the siding and gutter bus. for 15 years. Bleach will not hurt siding of any kind if used right. I use a product called Jomax. You mix 1 qt Jomax, 3 qts bleach and 4 gal water. Mix it in a pump up sprayer and spray it on and let it set for about 10 minutes. You can pressure wash or wipe it off. Being that it is gutter and a smooth finish, it will wipe pretty easy. A pressure washer will make it easier, but it is not necessary. As long as you don't saturate plants and shrubs you wont have any problems with them. Around here you can get Jomax at Ace Hardware and some paint stores. You can usually find it for around $20 a gallon. It will take a qt or less to wash the gutters on most houses. Not only will it cut the mildew, it will slow down its return. Good luck. Mitch

4. ranger351w

ranger351w LawnSite Member

:usflag: Thanks guys I will try your suggestions.
    A.S.D.S. Mowing

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is also a product called CL-20, I believe it is. This is available at RV places. It works like a charm, and is a couple buck a can. The gutters come out looking like new, but they also have a nice smooth gloss over them - almost like they were waxed.