Clean out fuel tank?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ron mexico75, Nov 29, 2012.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

I ran the gas all the way down in my mower the other day to almost dry. When I was refilling I noticed that there is a lot of sediment and dirt in the bottom of the tank. The clear fuel filter also has a good amount of very fine debris in it.

Would it be ok to disconnect the fuel line from the bottom of the tank once its empty and run the water hose through it to wash all that debris out? I obviously know that it needs to be 100% dry before refilling but just wanted to post to make sure I wasn't making a mistake.

Its a 36" exmark walk behind.

2. ron mexico75

anyone????

3. as long as its a plastic tank, i would do it.

4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Blowing out with a long nozzled air hose should do the job.

5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

6. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, sure ! Wash it out with WATER, that will work !!!!!! NOT

The best way is to remove the tank, leaving a little gas in it, swish it around and turn it upside down, while using a long nozzled air gun to blow all the crap out.
    You can also use a length of fuel line hose stuck on the end of a short blow-gun, it will whip around like crazy in the tank and get every bit out.

7. ron mexico75

well, I see Ive gotten 2 different takes on my question. It is a plastic tank. I thought about using gas, but why waste gas if it's going to drain out the bottom like water anyways? Im not going to fill it back up for a few days and was going to leave the fuel line disconnected and lid off during that time. I even thought about blowing air in with a backpack blower or shop vac as well.

Just seems like a water hose would be easier, wouldn't have to catch it all like I would if I used gas.

BIGFISH;
    I mean, if it is truly a bad idea, can you elaborate why?

8. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

Go a head and do it, your not going to hurt a thing. Half of these people have never done it them selves, but they are going to tell you how to do it. Ha HA Ha Very funny. Just use common sence.

9. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48in with the same gas tank. It has a pretty large gas cap. Just drain the tank and get someone with small hands to reach inside with a rag and wipe it clean, that is what I did, had my girlfriend do it. Worked great.

10. ron mexico75

Well thanks I appreciate that. When I first thought about doing it I asked myself what could the negatives be? That's why I posted because I couldn't think of any with the only one being; making a dumb choice to fill it back up with gas without drying it out and having water in the tank.

Funny you mention that, I was thinking of doing the same thing! I know my fat hand and forearm is not making it past the threading where the lid screws on!:laugh: