Clean up fire

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CLC, Apr 28, 2003.

1. CLC

CLC LawnSite Member

What do you guys think i have some clean ups clients summer/ weekend homes and they have tons of leaves,,,, any one every have a small controlled fire to burn the leaves so you dont have to haul? Unprofessional???

2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Over here you need special permits to burn, and those are NOT easy to come by. Do whatever you want... I don't think it's very professional though.

3. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds unheard of over in this part of NJ... Better have that insurance premium paid up in full.. All ya need is some dry leaves with some ashes to land on a dry roof of a vacant summer home and 3 minutes after you've left the place, let something spark and burn a whole house down... That'd be a difficult one to explain to an insurance agent.. <G>

Oh no, I can see it now.. a whole new Thread...

Fall Cleanups - Do you bag, mulch or Burn?

:)

4. Illegal in MA to burn leaves, brush only, requires a permit and only in season January to April. If you break the rules you don't get any more permits and are liable for fines and penalties. Better find out the rules in Maine.

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

If you want to burn them on your property, I say go for it, but certainly not on the customers property.

I know things are bit different in Maine, especially the rural areas, but unless it's common practice, legal, and acceptable to the customer, I think it's a really bad idea.

6. I’ve seen "accidental" clean-up fires. They work GREAT!!!

Oooopz! Sorry, I don’t know what could have happened. Maybe it was a spark from my muffler.

(Later next spring) WOW, your lawn is soooo deep green and plush. What kind of fertilization program are you on? LOL

7. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

"Sounds unheard of over in this part of NJ..."

Doogiegh,
    That's because it's been illegal in all of NJ for many years now. ;)

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would not suggest doing this at all. There are too many changes for a problem. Haul the leaves away if there are too many to mulch up and then dispose of them how you see fit on your property.

Gravely_Man

9. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I think "lawn chipolte" or whatever his name was suggested that at one point in time.

10. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

I would never do that. Very scrubbish type act.