Clean Up Rates

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by bigslick7878, Jun 15, 2009.

1. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure this has been gone over before,but how much does everyone charge for basic clean up per man per hour?

Have a pretty extensive job that will require lots of tree/shrub removal and just general clean up of a forest that surrounds a house that hasn't been taken care of in YEARS.

I was over there today trying to price it out but I came to the conclusion that is going to be pretty much impossible with the condition of the property.

Talked to the customer and they said the hourly rate will be fine,but at how much?

Lots of weeds overgrown areas,possible poison ivy who knows where and all that good stuff.

I have an idea of how much I will charge them but wanted to get some feedback into what the market rate is.I don't want to tell them a rate and have it too high and risk losing the job,just whatever the market will bear.

Haven't done one of these in a while.

2. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

On a job like that where its hard to figure how many hours it will take, I give a daily rate and shoot for about $300.00 a day or more depending on what kind of equipment I have to use. If it runs into another day, I prorate the second day if it's less than a full day.

If I'm not busy like in the winter, I just take what I can get if it's reasonable.

3. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

45 an hour per guy, plus dump haul fee if needed, that here, for average. don't know what your market is????

4. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

a daily rate of 300 hun, is low, figure if you mow 20 places for 30 bucks a place is 600 per day why charge less????

5. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

It costs me 300 just to start work for a day let alone actually making money.

6. bigslick7878

I figured my market is about in the $40-50 range,but rather than me making 10 phone calls to find out I wanted to get some general responses here....lot easier.I was going to charge about $45 and hour plus hauling fees,but am worried about someone who is desperate coming in lower than that.It is probably about 60-80 hours of work so I might just tell them $40 to be sure...just dont want to cut myself short if I can get more.

I definitely don't have the overhead that it costs me $300 before I started working every day,so it isn't going to be anywhere close to that much before labor.

I know one thing,I am having an allergic reaction to something in their yard and have red bumps all over my arms from where I brushed up against a pine tree today.Its giving me chest pains and everything and I can almost feel it running through my body.

After the initial visit on Friday I was covered from my knees to my armpits with these bumps,thought it was from something I ate but went back today 1 time completely covered up to measure( no issues) and back a second time NOT covered (big mistake) and the bumps reappeared within an hour of me coming home the second time.Up until last night they were all over,but I took some Benadryl and 8 hours later when I woke up this morning completely gone like nothing was there.....I was in shock.

I think I might need to charge the extra $5 for hazard pay,this stuff is a nightmare.

7. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

It may be hot but, jeans, long shirt, hat, boots, long socks, saftey glasses and mask if needed. Id rather sweat than itch myself all night.

8. bigslick7878

I hear ya,I am going full commando style when I go back next time.I will be covered from head to toe.

At least I will drop a few pounds sweating like a pig.:laugh:

9. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

charge 45 per man hour, and waive the debris hauling disposal charges if your worried about someone cutting your throat.

10. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

Your're right. I don't go out looking for cleanups, but will do it in the winter or if it's slow. Most people around here won't pay much for cleanup work. The $300.00 is for me working by myself with no help.

Most of my yards are $40.00 to $50.00 so I can make more mowing, but I can't do 20 in a day working solo.