clean up!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rcracer, Feb 19, 2008.

1. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

I am a little confused on what type of mower you guys use for picking up leaves. I have a exmark 36 wbh. Can I use this for picking up leaves or after dethatching. If I dethach should I just mow it and then blow the clippings up into the pile or rake it? I need some help understanding this it is my first year thanks.:usflag:

2. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

If you have a good bagger or collection system for it but if the leaves are real heavy its better to blow

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Mulching the leaves up and then bagging them with the mower works best for us. Also, when we dethatch we run the entire lawn over with the collection system on.

4. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

Well here's the thing I put an add on craigslist to do some painting on the side even though I can't stand painting to make extra money. Well I got the bid to paint this guys bedroom for 120.00 not bad I thought. Well I ended up landing his lawn as well. He wants me to dethatch it but I dont have a bagger system for my mower. So after I dethatch it do I just mow it and then blow or rake it into a pile and then bag it?:usflag:

5. Raven386

from CT

Just blow everything into a pile, tarp it into your truck. Maybe look at getting a grass catcher. somewhere around $200 maybe? I dont know. It will come in handy when fall comes, and spring too. what are you using to dethatch the lawn?

6. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

I don't actually have a dethatcher I would have to rent one is this a good idea?

7. Raven386

from CT

yes. maybe reserve it now?, you might have trouble getting one once the weather starts turning nice again...

8. Raven386

from CT

When finances are better, definetley look at getting yourself a catcher.

9. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I put an ad on craiglist last season and got calls from everywhere but where I wanted I had clearly listed in ad the areas I worked in. i must have gotten a hundred calls

10. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

Yeah I think I am lucky that Oklahoma City is a little smaller than some other cites. How much do dethatchers run in price? Thanks for all the help:usflag: