1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

clean-ups with mulch kits?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DeWitt Lawncare, Mar 30, 2006.

1. DeWitt Lawncare

DeWitt Lawncare LawnSite Member

How many of you clean up yards by simply mowing them with mulch kits?

I've got a 52 inch turf tracer and a friend of mine suggested going with the mulch technique. He says it's way easier and just as effective as blowing everything on a tarp. What do you guys think?
  2. SEKscag

SEKscag LawnSite Member

I've heard of tons of people using the mulch kits. But I can bag off the stuff 10x faster than someone that has to keep running over stuff to mulch it.... I've tried both ways and IMO the bagging is the way to go...
  3. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

It's the ONLY way to do a clean-up. Twigs, etc. have to be carried away, but other than that, I blow out all the beds, and then go over the lawn with a JRCO rake with the mulcher installed. After a pass with the rake, I raise the rake then make enough passes to mulch everything.
  4. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, but no way. What kind of mulch kit are you using? Using the ExM kit, it's the other way around for me -- mulching in a tenth the time.
  5. DeWitt Lawncare

DeWitt Lawncare LawnSite Member

I don't have a JRCO rake. Is that used to just loosen the stuff on the surface?

How much is one of those?

6. CompletePropertyCare

CompletePropertyCare LawnSite Member

I just picked up my new 52 in turf tracer hp, I have a couple cleanups next week. I plan on pulling my dethatcher over the yard with my small kubota tractor and then throwing my bag on my w/b to pick everything up. I'm pretty sure I need to remove my mulch kit to bag, is this a pain.
  7. GStover

GStover LawnSite Member

With mulch kit installed, and after removing limbs/twigs, I run over the remaining debris with deck raised two to three times, and then install the bagger to remove any thing left over. It reduces the amount I have to bag tremendously. There are some lawns, however, that I only mulch to clean up...it just depends on how bad the lawn is, and if there's a lot of thatch build up from the previous season.
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Yea kinda, i think the eXmark mulch kits are a pita to put on and take off, about 7-10 bolts, three pieces to it, then you have to put on this small angled piece of metal next to the chute on the inside of the deck, im guessing that having a floating deck would just make it harder too. i talked to a person at eXmark, they are supoosedly redesigning their mulch kit for this fall, just what i heard though!
  9. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

when they make it less of a pita i'll buy one for the viking:usflag:
  10. Itzkcatz

Itzkcatz LawnSite Member
    from CT

my JRCO dethatcher just ran me 475 and 100 for the mounting bar. Thats for a 48 inch metro