1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

clean-ups with mulch kits?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DeWitt Lawncare, Mar 30, 2006.

1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Mulch or bag....
    For me it depends on how much debris there is. If it is too much then I will bag it or tarp and dump it. If it is light or I think it will look good after mulching, I'll do that. Whatever is most efficient and keeps the prop looking good.
  2. Wing 97

Wing 97 LawnSite Member
    from CT

I'm sure I'm going to get slammed for this but don't you dethatch to loosen dead grass and debris from the lawn? Why would you grind up the debris and just leave it? Doesn't this defeat the purpose?
  3. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think it is all that hard to put on and take off. I took mine off today in about ten minutes switched out blades and all on a TTHP.
  4. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

It combs out the lawn nicely. Mine was about $400, paid off the first day I used it.
  5. CompletePropertyCare

CompletePropertyCare LawnSite Member

When I remove my mulch kit, can I leave my mulching blades on with my bagger? Again I have TTHp
  6. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

It won't work well for regular mowing. WHY would you ever bag?
  7. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't leave them on if they are the wavy mulch blades that came with the mulch kit, The wavy blades don't give a very nice cut. I would put the hi lifts back on or a set of Gator Blades or something similar. I like the mulch blades that www.mowmore.com sell, They look very similar to the Gators for a fraction of the price.
  8. CompletePropertyCare

CompletePropertyCare LawnSite Member

I'm running the dethacther over the yard before I mow and if its anything like my house which is about 15 min away, theres going to be a ton of dead grass laying around. Thats why I want to bag the stuff.
  9. dhenegar

dhenegar LawnSite Member

This is my setup for cleanups: I use a lazer with the mulch kit and also pull a lawn sweeper behind it. I know it sounds a little crazy, but you should try it sometime. The mulcher shreds leaves ect. down enough that you don't have to empty the sweeper often. Also the sweeper really puts some awsome stripes in a yard.
  10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Mulching with my Toro Z is the fastest way Ive found. It also looks the best, especially on bermuda or zoysia yards.

On thin, sparse fescue..I like to bag because you can see the mulch clippings too well in a yard like that.