Clean your Pavers?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GroundScapesIncorporated, Feb 6, 2007.

1. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Does anyone clean off their paver work when finished, or do you just tell the customer that the colors will really start to show after it rains on it a few times.

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you mean by "clean"?

If you mean an acid wash cleaning, no, don't do that. If you mean hosing them down, no, not often.

However, if you mean sweeping and blowing them off, then yes, that's done every time.

The colors will only really show when the pavers are wet. Unless you seal them with a wet-finish type of sealer.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

For us, washing pavers down is not a realistic idea. And here's why:

1) we usually have loose, fine graded soil up to the edge of the pavement, which is either seeded or sodded. Washing the pavement down will: splatter the loose soil, or make the sod sopping wet, thus inflicting footprints from where the workers must pass over.

2) Waters down the pavement making it difficult to apply the joint sand afterwards.

3) If joint sand is already applied, then it become susciptable to washing out.

We just broom it off really good, and usually run a backpack blower over it, followed by applying the joint sand.

For the last 11 yrs, mother nature has always done a good job of cleaning.

4. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Thanks DVS,
    You always seem to help out.
    We have been just letting Mother Nature clean our jobs as well, I was just wondering what everyone else was doing. I like to take pictures right after a job is completed, but they always look better if I wait a couple weeks.
    Thanks Again,

5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

If you guys are using polymeric sand you should be hosing down the brick lightly to harden the sand. We do it with a light spray the first time, then 5 minutes later or so we spray it again. This hardens up the sand.

6. D Felix

Guess that was a given....

But the pavers need to be swept and blown off before sanding the joints, well before any water is applied.

7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

You always have to blow off any type of hardscape with a blower. If you don't the dust from the cuts leaves nasty stains. My one competitor never blows anything off. You can tell a wall is his from a mile away. He cuts the caps dry directly on the wall. So every foot the top 2 rows of wall block are stained!

8. zedosix

Guess that was a given

9. D Felix

:D I've found that sometimes you gotta state the obvious on here! Don't take it the wrong way! :D

10. zedosix

Just havin fun with ya.:)