Cleaner?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Tony Clifton, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys use cleaner anytime you glue two fittings together? I have almost always done so but have learned that some of my install guys only use cleaner at the valves and anytime there is a lot of dirt. Seems to make sense to me....what do you all do?

2. I use P68 purple primer on every fitting and pipe that is glued, I also wipe the excess glue off the joint....I give a 10 year warranty on piping so it better be right...

3. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

I don't give a warranty but I do it the exact same way. I truly cannot recall any joint I've glued ever leak. We use Turf-Tite for glue. A lot of my buddies just use P primer on mainline and turf-tite and Turf-Tite only on laterals. They are probably okay but I think it is a good habit to always use P primer.

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I prime everything that I cement. P68 and Turf-Tite

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Purple primer and Plumb-Tite on every solvent weld joint... pressurized or lateral, regardless of pipe size. :)

6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I've never understood a use for cleaner in pressure plumbing. Prime and glue. I don't like one-step, but a lot of guys do it. If you use cleaner and then glue, the joint will eventually fail because you didn't actually solvent weld the pipe. To get a true weld, you must prime first. I like clear primer best. It doesn't make my hands purple. I like purple primer for any help I get so I can "see" what is going on. It is a trust factor.........and I don't:hammerhead:

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

If you put in a system that requires inspection prior to burying then the inspector had better be able to see the primer stain out the end of the fitting or you'll be tearing it out. :)

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

IPS AquaBlue on 1.25" and smaller. Clean pipe with a rag, glue. Well over 10,000 fittings, and I've never seen a blowout related to the glue.

IPS Medium Body Glue and Purple primer on 1.5" and larger.

9. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

My only problem with p primer is around new concrete. I'm always b-tching to get that stuff off the crete. If you spill the blue glue on concrete make sure they don't try and wipe it. After it hardens it will peel off in one big chunk. Speaking of concrete my other pet peeve are workers who clean the mud off their shovels by banging them on the concrete. Just recently my yard guy planted some bushes for me while I was at work. Got home and what do I see? He cleaned his friggin shovel by banging it against the side of my house.:angry:

10. I was about to say the same thing.

I know of 2 companies in the Manteca area that did work for the city. They used clear primer. City inspector refused to sign off on the job, even after the install company presented all the empty primer cans. Specs called for the use of purple primer.

Why they used clear primer, the person who bought the supplies didn't want to go to another irrigation house since they were out of regular purple primer.

Now why purple and not a high visibility color like you see on vest?