cleaning a backpack sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jsteveharris, Jun 20, 2001.

1. jsteveharris

jsteveharris LawnSite Member

Has anyone heard of using ammonia to clean a sprayer after using a herbicide.

I mainly use roundup but sometimes need to spray a insecticide and do not want to risk killing anything.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Roundup will jell up in the sprayer and you may get residue when you spray something else. The results could be horrible. Lesco has a cleaner for sprayers.

3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

jsteveharris,
    I wouldn't use a sprayer that has had Roundup in it for spraying
    anything but Roundup. Go buy another sprayer for insecticide
    spraying. ED

4. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I have one backpack sprayer dedicated to RoundUp only. I even painted the top RED so that I wouldn't make the mistake of loading it with another product. That being said, I have only used soap and water to triple rinse my backpacks.

Bill Craig

5. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I just logged on to ask the same question...
    Coincidence?

Can I use the same sprayer for Sahara as I do for Round up?
    In other words, can the Sahara be cleaned from the sprayer?
    Is glyphosphate the only thing that wont come off?

Also, what kind of oil do you guys use on the valve?

Thanks for the help!

6. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

If you triple rinse (spraying the rinsate on an approved area) you should have no problems. Can't justify buying 2 or 3 different sprayers at over $100 a pop just to spray different chemicals.

7. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with you scraper!
    Thanks for the alternative view!

Do you have any special tips/formulas on your triple rinse?

There seems to be a great consensus that Round up can't be washed out
    Any other opinions?
    Thanks for sharing!

8. Scraper

Just use fresh water. I have the 3 gallon backpack and will fill with one gallon of clean water, agitate then spray over my stone drive. Do this 3 times and all should be clean. I believe any problem with gumming arises out of leaving unused materials in the tank. I can not see how if you were to spray and empty entire tank after each use you'd have any build-up. I use my tank to spray insecticides, nonselective herbicides and selective herbicides. Have never had a problem.

9. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

I would like to hear or see the results of you triple rinsing a sprayer that has had round-up in it.LOL.Why don't you try it on your lawn? NOT.

10. Scraper

'scuse me? I have used it on my own lawn when I use Lontrel for broadleaf weed control. And yes...that is with the same and only tank that I also use Round-up in. Why don't you do a little research before you open your juvenile little mouth? Maybe if you were a licensed applicator you might have been taught this triple rinse procedure along with the materials you received to be a professional. Although the triple rinse is aimed more for disposal of empty containers the same can apply to your sprayer. Do you really think people have 10 different sprayers for applications? LOL Didn't see you make any suggestions on what to do.