Cleaning a mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMastersTx, Jan 19, 2008.

1. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

I have done a few different ways of cleaning my mower and seeing what you guys do to clean them.

I have tried power washing, but then had the fuses go out on me b/c all the dirt and mud got clogged into them.

Did the water hose wash and came back to see parts of the mower rusted.

I want to work on the engine but need to clean around it first so that I do not get any of that grim into the engine.

What do you guys do?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Much like yourself I used water and sometimes warm water and soap but just found the collateral damage to be more than what I wanted...

Today I just use compressed air, even that's not perfectly safe, but I think it's better than water.

3. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

Compressed air. Becareful with washing as well, as some mowers have sealed bearings in the deck, and once they get water in them, its no bueno.

4. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

Thank you for the replies already, i cant believe I didnt think about compressed air. Too much Texas sun I guess =)

5. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

feel free to send some up here, its colder then a witches... well you get the point. with the wind chill its -23 outside. Yummy

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would not use high pressure water on these units none of the switches and connectors are water proof. A lot of the units have pivot that don't have grease certs and if you force water in they will rust and wear. Use compressed air and you have to be careful with that. Getting the debris out of these air cooled engines is the biggest concern ....that needs to be done often including cleaning around the starter.

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

there's a product,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ah crap I forget what it is now...

it's one of those engine cleaners, that I use around the engine,, it comes in a large can and it sells for like 99 cents....."spray can"

I get 3 to 4 good cleanings outta 1 can.......

8. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

blower and paper towels or a few old rags. :)

9. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

gunk's engine bright works on my car, truck and motorcycle engine's, is that what you are refering to bohiaa?

10. Indy cutter

Indy cutter LawnSite Member

around the engine i use simple green.. it works as a great degreaser.. this site is awesome..