1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cleaning an enclosed trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by fga, May 10, 2005.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

how do you guys do it? i have these dirt "streaks" that run from the roof down the sides. i was scrubbing them with a brush, and was getting little progress. if i stayed with it for a long time, they'd clean right out... but do you guys actually have to power wash the sheet metal?
    i have a white trailer too.
  2. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Adam; Go to the supermarket and get a product called Simple Green. At home you dilute it according to the job. Put it in a spray bottle. Spray the heavy spots on the trailer. Sort of a pre-soak effect. Then wash the trailer. Good healthy detergent soap and a soft brush. Repeat as needed. When the trailer is clean, hook-up and start driving. Don't stop until you are out of the city and out to the country, where the air is clean. Take care, Adam...JIM.
  3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

thanks Jim. i have seen that stuff in alot of stores.
    fresh air? i don't think my lungs could handle fresh air :) i wouldn't be getting all the chemical factory nutrients we are accustomed to..
  4. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thsi stuff works great on the black streaks on RV's so I bet it willl do the trick on your trailer.
  5. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to autozone, pick up a bottle of Quik Detailer, spray it on an it will come off, that is what I use all the time....mine is bad at the front/side////back/side, front of trailer is ok, as well as back////after I wash the trailer I use that QD to get it white again, I also have used it to pull bird poop of as well.....you can use this stuff on a dirty/dusty car and it looks like you just washed it...good luck
  6. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

I have the same problem, I was told not to use a degreaser as this will damage the paint. True that. I have used simple green, and that seems to work best. I have also put down a good coat of wax and this seems to make cleaning it easier, after the enital claen up. If someone has a better way please let us dirth trailer folks know.
  7. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was told the same, no degreaser, treat it as a car finish!!!
  8. AlbeLawn

AlbeLawn LawnSite Member

It may sound stupid but wait until there is a rainy day and the trailer has been soaking in the rain and try and clean them off. I have good luck w/o any chemicals. But when i use the chemicals at the same time as the rain it works even better. I normally go the the self serve car wash when it is raining and it works great.

Hope this helps.
  9. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

use a buffer works like a charm every time for my dads enclosed trailer that looks better then new and is about 8 years old with 60K miles on it.
  10. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Wallmart sells " Black Streak Remover" in their RV department.
    Spray on, let soak a few minutes, wipe off. Works good. :waving: