Cleaning and Maintaining my new Chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mloolara, Mar 26, 2005.

1. mloolara

mloolara LawnSite Member

I just bought and used my new 50" Dixie Chopper- Coatesville Classic for the first time. I have the 20 HP Kohler with it and it is a side discharge. Also, I am using the original blades that came on the Chopper so don't know what those are but when it's time, should I buy a different type? Reason being is that I live in Baton Rouge, LA and it is very "wet" here. After cutting today, I used my blower to knock off the grass and pieces of dirt and mud from the top of the deck. I did not spray wash it as I have heard that water getting in the spindles or forcing dirt and clippings into them, can cause more damage than the positive effect of washing with water.
    What else should I do to clean and maintain my mower, especially the deck (both top and bottom)?
    By the way, is there a good jack or lifting device for the Chopper so that I can safely and effectively clean the bottom of the deck?
    Lastly, any other tips on regular maintenance on my ZTR as I have never owned one.
    Thanks in advance and Happy Easter to all!

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Jungle Jims makes a jack for raising up ztr's . i forget what its called but go to www.junglejims.com and look around and you should find it. i think its around $150.