Cleaning Deck

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by pryker, May 23, 2004.

1. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

Just a couple of quick questions:

I have 10 hours on my Lazer Z 60/27. I have had to clean the deck 4 times now. This is fine and I expected to have to, however, I am using a putty knife and the paint is starting to scrap off with the grass in places:

1. Is this normal?
    2. Will those areas rust and cause premature deck failure?
    3. Would a plastic bladed putty knife be better?
    4. How hard should I be scraping?

2. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

Terry, could you help me with this one?
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

How often you must scrape your deck is often a result of the amount of moisture in the grass. Once in a while you can have a deck with negative rake (rear of the deck is cutting lower than the front) which can add to the amount of grass sticking to the mower deck.

From the weather reports I've seen for your area what youÂ’re seeing would be considered normal.

As for question number 2. You'll never keep the paint under the deck. If the scraper doesn't remove it the grass, dust dirt, debris will. The air and debris are moving at close to 200 mph. The paint under the deck really does not stand much of a chance. Rest assured however it's not going to affect the life of the deck. If you would like you can clean the underside of the deck annually and spray paint it however nothing is really going to stick in that environment.

I would keep using a good scraper, metal plastic wood etc. Just about anything will work. Some of the grass can often be more difficult to remove than others. The drier the grass is that is stuck to the deck the more difficult it is to remove.