Cleaning engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vandora Lawn & Landscape, Dec 4, 2000.

1. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I'm planing on cleaning out the carbs on my 12.5 and 14 hp kawi and on a echo 2100 trimmer and a pb400e blower. Is this a difficult task to do? I've never done it before.

2. Michael

Michael Guest

Just keep everything really clean. I like to clean stuff w/ acetone, it's really good stuff, but hard on stuff you don't want damaged, like gaskets and seals. And be very methodical in your disassembly/reassembly

3. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

It's harder on the smaller carbs like the echo than it is the 12.5 & 14. Remember how the linkage attaches and it should be a fairly easy task. Compressed air and carb cleaner seems to do the trick for me.

Are your engines running poorly or hard to start? If the engine is running smoothly, why mess with the carb?

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not telling you what to do but if you already went thru and checked the easy stuff then mayby you are heading the right way.
    I would check the exhaust screens on the 2-cycle stuff first as if they are plugged you will get poor performance. The bigger stuff can be as easy as a new fuel filter. I run a little Sea-foam mixed in the gas a few times a year with good results. If you stabilize your gas in the winter you shouldn't have problems.

5. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

My echo blower I'm pretty sure the carb is dirty as hell. I looked in the fuel tank and was shocked to see little bits of leaves floating around and dread what has been sucked into the carb.

It usually runs ok for like 15 mins then just starts to cut out.

6. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Try and mix some carb and choke cleaner in you gas and run it through. If that doesn't work tear them down. It isn't hard just remember how it came apart.. Compressed air works to blow it all out good..

7. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I know you're a young guy who still has all his faculties so you should be all right on remembering what goes where during disassembly, but if you're at all like an old f**t like me who can't remember where they put their reading glasses try the Polaroid trick. Or more likely these days, the digital camera trick.

Just shoot a few frames from different angles of the piece to be disassembled [BEFORE you take it apart] so when you can't remember what goes where you have something to look at. At times when I couldn't find the Polaroid, I've even taken regular still pictures so just in case I had a problem I could run them over to the 1HR photo and have them developed.
    Just remember, it may not have happened to you yet, but it will! Good luck, Will

8. thefarmer4

thefarmer4 LawnSite Member

If your going thru the hassle of cleaning th carb you might as well pick up a carb kit for each one. It al depends on what type of carb it is. On 2cycle it would just be the diaphram that would br changed.

On 4 cycle Needle and Seat and possible the jets if it is an adjustable carb. If not adjustable just needle and seat.

One more note, some have a special needle with a rubber tip if it has this it may not have a seat. That needle can be very expensive and seem to last longer. So you may not have to change them.

At the very minimum change the gaskets if they seem sloppy or pinched.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I know you probably know this but
    there is a filter on gas exit.
    Point is you probably havnt
    hurt it.

10. thefarmer4

thefarmer4 LawnSite Member

Forgot to tell you to check muffler if spark arrester is dirty clean it with a wire brush or a propane torch. if exhaust can't get out 2 cycles won't run well. Check spark plug too.