Cleaning Equipment - pressure washer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by onelegjohn, May 5, 2004.

1. onelegjohn

onelegjohn LawnSite Member

Anyone use a pressure washer to clean their equipment? I know there is a huge difference between home owner mowers and commercial mowers.... but does this apply to pressure washers? I have seen these $300 jobbie-do's with 5 HP Hondas - but I don't want it quitting a year later or the pump going bad...yadda yadda yadda. Any one have any luck with a certain brand or a particular make? What is enough power? 13HP Honda would clean a muddy dump truck with ease I am assuming... Maybe $3 a pop at the car wash would be better anyways....

2. LRLS

LRLS LawnSite Member

Be careful at car wash they might not think to much of all the grass in the drain !

3. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

yes there is a decent difference i have a residental one and it lasted 4 years for like 250$ and now this year i need a new one but i figured i got my money out of it all you need is a residental one inless you are going to do it for a living which i doubt that

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

since your only going to be using it real quick (30 mins continuous a week) I wouldnt bother geting a real commercial gas one. I have one of these (see link)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2477045471&category=35000

No its not a commercial machine but for the 1-2 hours a week we use to wash backhoe, cars, or machines, its fine, lotta power to blast off dirt, and hey, if it breaks after 2 years, i still got my $80.00 worth.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

onelegjohn,

You will end up with problems using a power washer on your mowers. I learned the hard way.Never again will I power wash.

Gene

6. onelegjohn

onelegjohn LawnSite Member

Why not? Power wash bad, or what? Take paint off?

7. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

just make sure you dont get water in the intake other wise you will be screwed but u have to try to keep it outta both ports the intake and exhaust

8. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I got a honda pressure washer with a cat pump on it, true commercial. The two best pumps on a pressure washer is a cat (has nine lives) or comet, these will last many years. I turn down the pressure when washing mowers.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Just use a little common sense when power washing your equipment. Don't blast the bearings and electrical componets. Make sure you grease after your done to displace any water that might have seeped in to a bearing. You don't need a heavy duty unit just homeowner unit would be fine.

10. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

I have a cheap Craftsman 2400 PSI 2.4 GPM washer that was given to me that O do a lot of mower cleaning with about once a month. I have not found anything else that it is good for.

I do start the mowers after washing to warm the engine up to evaporate the water from the block and flywheel.

Other than that I just use the blower on them at the end of the day.