Cleaning equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WhohasHelios?, Apr 24, 2005.

1. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

How is everyone cleaning their lawn equipment at the end of the day?

I have been hosing it down and scrubbing with a stiff brush....I am a little worried though about staff doing this when they are tired at the end of the day...And getting water all over/in the engines.....

What is everyone else doing for this?

-Reuben

2. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

We blow it off at the end of every day and pressure wash our mowers monthly. Works for us.

3. WhohasHelios?

Are you using the stuff all day every day? And do you find that it stays looking pretty clean for that whole month..?

I mean, we all know that it is hard to keep the stuff looking brand new for more than a week or so...But it really does stick out when you see a company pull up with clean equipment every week....

thanks for the reply

4. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

I clean my stuff every week, I don't use a power washer but I sure wash it good with soap and water. I wouldn't want someone coming to my home with a "Sanford & Son" looking outfit! I'm a firm believer in taking care of stuff and presenting yourself professionally.

On the flip side of that coin I'm also not saying someone who could care less about their equipment doesn't provide quality work.

5. WhohasHelios?

No, not necessarily, but it is pretty easy to make that assumption though...Shows lack of pride in my mind...

6. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

I also think if you take care of the equipment when its time to trade it in maybe it will be worth a bit more.

7. bplawncare

bplawncare LawnSite Member

power washing is not good for ur mowers bearings! i dont recomment washing with water more trhan once a month

8. you mean dirty as in this.

dirty.jpg

9. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

I try to wash my mowers once a week with a power washer, have never had any problems with bearings, just make sure u grease everything after u wash it to force out the water that may have gotten into something, and dont use direct force on a seal covering a bearing.

10. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

JBLAWN,

Thats dirty!!!
    Hey I was curious if your neighbor has returned the shovel yet?