Cleaning exhaust ports

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CLM1103, Mar 24, 2002.

1. CLM1103

CLM1103 LawnSite Member

I have constant trouble with my Stihl 2 cycle equipment clogging exhaust ports. What is the best and easiest way to clean them out? Is there a round wire brush made for this? lAppreciate any help.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Assuming you have already taken off the muffler and have clear access to the port, best tool that I have ever used to tackle this job would be my cordless dremel tool.
    There are several assorted bits you can use to reem away the deposits.

Be sure the piston is up so it is blocking the porthole so no debris enters the sleeve. Be careful to not gouge the piston.

MATT

3. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Run it wide open, thats the best way to prevent it from clogging up. Don't grind anything while the motor is still together b/c u have to clean it out after ward. If you can't run it at high RPMs often (going to and from the trailer to places u trimm) take out the spark asprirator. I even removed restrictor plates out of the muffler on an old blower and it helped a ton.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

u might try stihl mix an high octane ,mixed exact 50-1. i no longer deal with oil exhaust etc

5. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Thanks for that tip AWM, I'll try that too.

6. CLM1103

CLM1103 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

Charles

7. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I make sure the piston is up and then use a small flathead screwdriver. I used Stihl mix at 50:1 with 89 octane and still had some minor blockage so I switched to Amsoil 100:1 this past fall. Time will tell if it is better. Some other advice: when you put your muffler back on, don't overtighten the bolts. The heads on 2 cycle equipment just doesn't seem to be as strong as I am and I have a tendancy to strip out the threads. This is not fun to fix!

8. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: CLM, i switched to smokeless 2 stroke from J.Thomas and i mix it with super unleaded and have'nt had a clogged port in 5 years. T

9. Bladewielder

Bladewielder LawnSite Member

I'm just saying this to be sure but make sure it's not just your spard arrestor screen. If that's it just replace it or remove it. I also agree with the high octane gasoline.