cleaning gutters/eaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

how do you guys go about cleaning gutters? i received a call this morning and a lady wants them cleaned, but she already has someone for fall cleanup. do i go up there and pick out the garbage by hand, the bag it? or do i blow them out, rake em up and bag em'? what do you charge, and how? obviously more for 2 story houses etc, but i'd like to get a feel for how you guys do it. this will be my first one. is there a big PITA factor? especially since i'm not doing the fall cleanup? thanks :)

2. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

if i'm just doing the gutters, i'll go around the house on my ladder with a 5 gallon bucket hooked onto it and take out the stuff by hand and throw it in the bucket, when that fills up i dump it into a trash bag until i'm done with all the gutters.pretty easy, once you get into the routine. you could price by the man hour or by the linear foot.

if i'm doing the roof and gutters, i'll get on the roof via an extension ladder and use my backpack blower to blow off the roof and to blow out the gutters. i get off the roof and blow or rake all the debris into a few piles and then go over it with a bagging mower. i price by the man hour for this.

we don't have a bad leaf season where i'm at but, i make alot of money on roof/gutter cleaning in the fall and through the spring. i find it to be a good source of revenue in my slow season. i'm going to invest some money in new ladders this winter. i pass on the two stories, just to dangerous for me.

3. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

i usually just blow them out with a hand blower, then if im doing the clean up i pick it up but if not and some one else is, leave all the stuff that comes out.

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Simple enough method of providing a service to getting yourself killed or doing serious structural damage to the property.

I would recommend that you call a licensed roofing contractor and get an estimate from them. Add 10% to it and submit the price.

You will also need to get insurance listed for arborist services because your grounds policy for lawn/landscape work WILL NOT cover you.

5. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Expert Lawns,

Gutters can be pretty good $ but be aware of the inherent dangers that are involved. I typically only do gutter jobs for my real good customers and charge about $75 for most homes. It usually takes me about an hour to complete them. I avoid using the blower - makes a mess after all the leaves and grit get blasted out. I usually use a ladder and place a trash bag on the roof with me as I dig the stuff out w/ one hand and place it in the bag. After everything is removed from the gutters, I'll take a water hose and spray the gutters out and make sure all the downspouts are working and the water is flowing.

Be careful,

BAMARED

6. this is what I do put a bucket under every down spout get a bout 200` of hose and a watering wand with a high preasure tip and walk around the edge of the roof and blow all the junk down the down spoutit goes in to the bucket . I have found that this works really good and fast.

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Does anyone use a vac/shredder for this work? I do a few and thought one might be handier, make up a couple of extensions for it and suck away.

8. grassworks

grassworks LawnSite Member

I have dabbled with the handheld vac/shredder but don't or have not seen a successful solution. The echo and stihl have large vac tubes that would be hard to convert to a smaller tube. you also have yourself either up on the ladder or on the roof tryng to tote this extra weight around ,sometimes holding above your head if on the ladder. all the while the vac is picking up the dry stuff you can reach ,but not getting down to the wet debris most filled gutters have. the tube is too large and the vac is not quite strong enough to get it all. you end up wasting time when you might have just pulled it out ( or blew it out if feasible). just my experience.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I do it, but before you do, check your policy. Chances are, you're not covered. If it's not too bad of a pitch, I walk the edge of the roof with a backpack. I then hold the straight tube down onto the downspout, and make sure I can see air coming out the bottom end of the downspout. (unless they have a drain system). I also do the roof off as well. If it's too steep, it's done by hand with a ladder. I don't worry about a bucket though, as this is done before the beds and turf are done. If this person has someone doing the fall cleanup anyway, I'd get over there and do it before they came, and just leave it. They'll get it, and the small amount that comes out of the eaves isn't going to make any significant difference on their cleanup. They won't even notice, probably. If, however, the yard is relatively clean, then you can pull a rake around real quick and tarp it, or whatever means you use. Use your discretion on collecting it or not.