1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning gutters

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by dcwalker, Aug 2, 2005.

1. dcwalker

dcwalker LawnSite Member

Hope this is the right forum. Do any of you guys clean gutters? What would you charge? I've been asked a couple of times to do it but told them no because, well, it just sucks! I don't even like doing mine. Then I got thinking, maybe it's something I should offer. Also, what would be the easiest way to do it? is there an easy way? When I do mine I just get out the ladder and start digging. Any input would be appreciated.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If you will do a SEARCH you will find tons of information as this topic, even though it has absolutely nothing to do with Lawn Care has been discussed countless times and there are hundreds of threads answering the exact questions you ask.
  3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't clean gutters, I feel thats a handymans job. But, when I do my own I use a antifreeze jug that has the end cut out, then I just scoop the crap out.
  4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a gutter cleaning attachment from Echo, fits on the end of my PB751T back pack blower. I can reach about a story and a half with it.

Like Mike said do a search there is a great deal of info on methods of cleaning and pricing.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We do it as part of our fall cleanups. We blow the roof off, then walk down with the backpack, shaking the stuff out. When we reach a downspout, we blow air down it and ensure that it is clean and working properly. Single story with an easy pitch gets about 20 bucks a side. It takes less 5 minutes for the whole thing.
  6. dcwalker

dcwalker LawnSite Member

Your right. Sorry about that. I usually do search first and almost always get my info that way. I just had a brain fart and forgot. Sorry for the inconvinence. :waving:

7. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

I do gutter cleaning. I used to advertise it, but not so much anymore. I do it for existing customers mostly these days.

I have several tools I use depending on the gutter and how clogged they are.

I have several types of "gutter rakes", one of which is like this one.

There is also an attachment you can purchase at Home Depot that fits on the end of a gardens hose that allows you to flush out gutters without climbing on a ladder. It's like a big extendable upside down "J".

I also use a ladder stabilizer which not only keeps the ladder stable, but keeps the ladder off the roof so you don't damage the gutters you're working on. You can get those at Home Depot too for like $40.

I generally charge a minimum of $75 to do an average single story 3 bedroom house in my area. That would take me an hour or less, again depending on how bad the gutters are.
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Think first!!!!!!!!!

What will you do when you fall off the roof for that 40 dollars. What will the employee do when he or she falls of that roof????????? Law suit?????

Get numbers of gutter cleaning people who are insured and will sell them gutters they dont need to clean anymore, anyway.

9. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I usually take my BR320 up on the rooftop, walk across it, blow all the crap off and then blow the crap out of the gutter. its crude, but works well. then just go on the ground with a rake and some garbage bags, clean everything up nice, and you're done.
  10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

if you have to climb a ladder, your insurance rates will change, i dont do this anymore, my insurance wont cover it