1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Gutters

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Barry D, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Barry D

Barry D LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I want to add some new extras for my customers. I would like to offer Gutter Cleaning but don't know how much to charge. I know that several factors effect the price of the job. Lenght, height of the gutters and how long will it take to clean. This is where I need help. I do not have a starting price (for an easy job).

I currently offer fall clean-up and leaf removal. What other extras will bring more work?
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I was charging $1 per linear foot for single stories, $2 per linear foot for two stories, but it was getting really scary on some of the steeper pitched roofs. I couldn't figure out what pitch roof you had and if I could have I would have charged even more for the steeper pitches.

I just don't do gutter cleaning anymore. I'm a solo operator and one slip could end it all. Not worth it for me.

3. There is a company that makes an attachment for the ladder. It curves over the end and the pads rest on the roof. It allows you to not only keep the ladder off of the gutters, but allows you to be able to get above the gutters on the ladder. So there is no need to get on the roof at all. So the pitch would have no bearing on anything. I myself bought two pair, one for my 16' and another for my 32' extension ladder. The company is Straddlers. The reason I had to have a 32' extension ladder is that there are a lot of 2 and a half stories in New Orleans.
  4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

You can fall from a ladder just as easily as you can fall from a roof. Nope, no thanks, none for me. I'm not cleaning gutters anymore.

5. The best area of the country to make money cleaning gutters is where they have cold winters and the water freezes. If the gutters are not cleaned out the water will not be able to leave via the down spouts and will of course freeze and bust the gutters. You can be in business cleaning gutters for a fraction of what it take to be in the lawn care business and it pays better. The above poster has allready told you why it pays better. Even the scared can cut grass.
  6. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

I charge 60.00 for a standard ranch house and an additional 60.00 for a 2 story house
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Does anyone use a pressure washer with an extended curved gun? I think this would be much safer and work well. I was just wondering if it would create a big mess and where someone might get such an attatchment?

8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

There is also an extension with an elbow curve that fits on blowers that is made for gutters, I just dont know where to find one though. It may not even be very productive, its just something I have heard about.
  9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I always thought these attachments would just blow the water and junk on you as you held the blower. I think gutter cleaning is a great add on for the fall, and we do almost all of our customers. Depending on the style of home, prices range from $45-$75. Usually, we can jump on the roof and blow out the gutters with a backpack blower, sometimes we have to work with the ladder. Mike
  10. Barry D

Barry D LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Thanks for all the replys. This will give me a starting point on how much to charge. I have done roofing in the past and know all the dangers associated with being on the roof. I think it will be a great "Extra" for me to pick up some additiopnal customers. I think that once a get the job, then I can discuss the possibility of lawn care. Just another tool to gain more business!!!!!