Cleaning Gutters?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mottster, Aug 4, 2003.

1. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

Just curious if any of you clean gutters for your customers? I've been doing it at an hourly fee and besides the dangers its pretty easy money. If you do would you mind sharing some of the techniques you use?

If the roof isn't all that steep i typically do everything from the roof...either blowing the dried up leafs out with a blower or picking the wet junk out with my hand. If it's too steep i do everything from a ladder.

2. If dryish leaves blow em out with back pack on roof.

If wetish leaves scoop em out into a 5 gallon bucket.

Sometimes 1 way does it, sometimes both ways will do it.

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

There is no other way to do than what has been said.

LOL people think we are going to drag a hose around and wash them in late November :p

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

if hourly works for you...great!

but I would never charge hourly for that job. I charge a flat fee of $35 minimum and that is if it an easy job--about 20 minutes.

people will pay the flat fee because if they have called you, chances are they can't find anyone else that will actually do it after they have said they would.

people don't like for you to blow the gutters unless they are dry because the leaves will blow between the gutter and facia board.

gutters are a good way to make a buck and introduce yourself to new customers.

I have done as many as six houses at one time on the same street after having an appointment with only one lady.

she got on the phone and called her friends and I simply carried the ladder from house to house.

two hours later and it was cha-ching time for the ole deposit slip. all six paid with a check! ;)

GEO

5. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

$40 per average house, not too steep and dry, it takes about 15 minutes including the time to put the ladder, it's easy money but the risk from falling down and breaking a bone or even worse is high, I'm not even sure if your insurance would pay for this kind of accidents.

Be very careful.

6. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

We do ALOT of gutter jobs. We don't do hourly, either. For a simple 1 story, it starts at $50.00. Two story starts at $100.00. Add more for gutters around the whole house, steep roofs, or other dangers that make the job harder.

The 5-gallon bucket is the way to go. You can use a hook from a bungee cord to hook it to the ladder.

Also, we've been installing gutter guards for some of our customers, which is another good money maker.

7. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Good idea, maybe I will start offering that service. Hmmm.

I like the $50 for one story, $100 for two story. Thats a good idea. So for a three story I charge $200 right? he he!

:cool:

8. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

i also clean gutters, i dont mind doing it but i hate freaking ladders
    the money i bring in the happier the wife is

9. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I charge the price of the yard. Small yards usually have small roofs, and visa versa. Worked well for me for years now.

Of course, there are exceptions.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup clean gutters...I don't really enjoy it though.