1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Hedge Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nt1, Apr 4, 2005.

1. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

Any good tips for cleaning hedge trimmer blades?

What types of cleansers would you recommend?

What about all the gummed up blades with sap and so on?
    I remember reading somewhere about someone soaking them in a capped pvc pipe. What they soaked them in I forgot.
  2. USM Lawns

USM Lawns LawnSite Member

I you hit the blades with WD-40 or some other lubricant you should have little problems with build up. Spray them before every use.

If your blades get gunked up try soaking them in Kerosene for short period of time..always works for us.
  3. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

spray down the blades with simple green let it soak in for 5 mins then brush it off with a stiff plastic brush and rince. I also find when you are pruning spray a mixture of atf and a bit of paint thinner it lubes the blades and keeps some of the sap from gumming them up wile you are using them.
  4. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

Kerosene and paint thinner it will be.

What is atf?
  5. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I pressure wash them then , then spray Pam on them. This will keep them fairly clean if you don't forget to use it before it gums up.
  6. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

water might cause rust. I use wd-40 or 3 in 1 oil for lube. Kerosene and motor oil mix makes a great cleaner.
  7. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

I use 1 quart bottles of synthetic gear lube, comes with a nifty spout that lays a fine bead on them and they are good for a few hours
  8. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I keep my blades lubed with wd-40.
    However, to clean I use a mixture of aerosol brake cleaner plus non flammable safety solvent in my parts washer.
    Once cleaned, the blades are blown dry and heavily coated with wd-40 to resist rust.
  9. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

I use Break Free CLP.

It's great and seems to stick the the blades a little longer than the Wd-40 does.
  10. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I read on here last year the using all these chemicals can harm the shrubs......it also said to use vegtable oil or "PAM".........I am sure simple green would be fine.....