1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Mower Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hmc610, May 11, 2010.

1. hmc610

hmc610 LawnSite Member
    from SW, MO

What do You use to clean your deck? Do use a plastic or metal putty knife or high pressure wash? Also do you treat your deck with Fluid Flim or some other product?

2. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

putty knife.

3. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one of the GrassBuster knives at Louisville in 2008. It's kind of a glorified stiff putty knife with rounded corners. It does work pretty good though. I clean my deck everytime I change out the blades, which is usually everyother day. I don't treat my deck with anything. If I did I'd probably use Pam (by the case @ Sam's Club) and save the Fluid Film for where I really need it.

4. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I use a BBQ spatula!

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

pressure washer!!!

6. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I've made up a couple good scrapers out of electrical conduit. I have one about 3 feet long and a shorter one. I flattened out one end and have bent it to look like a small hoe.

It scrapes real well and I can reach all the way across the underside of the deck from either side. And yes I jack the mower up so I can see what needs to be removed.

Nosmo

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Once or twice a year I pull the 4 pins on my floating deck, remove it and really scrape it good. I will also put a coat of paint on the underside...most of the paint comes off, but in the seams where they didn't weld...it lasts about a year...these seams are where water will sit and rust. For all the in between cleanings I use a putty knife and a Snap-On floor jack.

8. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

If you have any grass that has got hard as cement, I've found that PB BLASTER works pretty good. Just spray enough to absorb thoroughly, I let it absorb overnite, scrapes of much more easily.

9. bryansong

bryansong LawnSite Member

Johnwon,

You stated

One of the best songs ever!! Hear for yourself.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHQ_aTjXObs

I agree, thanks for sharing that video with us, I went and watched it. I love that song

age 54 and was able to see Skinnard in Kansas City in the mid 70's. They have a lot of great songs.

Bryansong

10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

hye bryan song, nice to see a semi local. do you deal with odell tractor for your scag?