cleaning mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dwc, Apr 4, 2008.

1. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering what everyone is using to clean all the grime off the decks on mowers? It seems the car wash will not take it off by itself and even scrubbing will not take it off very good. I used some westies bleach white last year and it seemed to eat it off well. I need something to spray on and just hose off because I don't like taking my mowers to the car wash, every time I do I end up with electrical problems!

Thanks

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Lime Away works good - Spray and wipe

3. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

From what i've read here, putting fluid film on it will prevent things from sticking and make it very easy to clean, but I don't have any personal experience.

4. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Degreaser and wash brush would be a start. Never let any Industrial strengh degreaser sit and dry it will leave spots which will become permanent...
    I suggest as a detailer get a bucket dilute degreaser with water 50/50 mix and get washing

5. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Wash more often. Simple Green or Super Clean from Castrol work great, just don't let them sit too long, they tend to dull the finish.

6. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Plus I heard the pressure from a carwash or pressure washer will screw up the bearings in your mower.

7. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't spray high pressure directly at bearing or seals. I also try to grease mower after I wash to help push water out of these areas.

8. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... What about water getting in to the bearings etc.?? :confused: Dealer warned me about this a few years ago? :(.