Cleaning out trucks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tazman, May 25, 2003.

1. tazman

tazman LawnSite Member

The people out there that run crews, how do you keep your employees compliant about keeping their personal garbage out of the work trucks? Garbage like fast food cups and bags, pop cans, misc. I have told my guys to clean out the trucks at the end of the day on a consistant basis and I feel I am talking to the wall. It pisses me off because I am very considerate when ever I use some one elses vechicle. I do not think it is very professional to drive around in a truck that has garbage in it, especially a work truck. Any ideas?? Hold their check on payday, charge them for my time to clean the truck out, etc.

2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i simply ask my driver 2 ?'s when he parks his truck and hands me the keys,

1) did you fill the tank?

2) is all the **** taken out?

if he's not sure i tell him to go back and double check. tony

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the guys are usually good about cleaning out their stuff from the vechile. Sometimes i have to remind them, but the only thing that they leave in the vechile is empty pop bottles. Because we always take the empty bottles after a week or two, turn them in for some money, and go out to dinner.

4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I never had too much of a problem with them taking the stuff out. We washed and cleand all the trucks on Friday and once a month waxed them.

Now for the funny thing. We had a couple of bathrooms and the guys were on a chart to clean them soe the same guy would not get stuck two weeks in a row. I even took my turn. Well with 20 guys you can see that you don't have to do it very many times in a year.

Well one rule we had was the new hire had to clean the bathroom the first week they were there. We told this one guy who was a good worker that he had to clean the bathrooms. He refused! Said that he was there to prune and cut grass and he never cleaned the bathroom at home and he wasn't going to here. The guys just started laughing and I said ok. He had this smile on his face and handed the cleaning bucket to the nearest guy. As he did so I said your fired! He looked at me like hit with a ton of bricks. I told him that since he was too good to clean our bathrooms that he was just too good to work with us. He was not happy to say the least.

I found out that you can gain alot of respect from employees when you treat everyone the same with no exceptions.

5. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Just ask nice.

First thing in the morning make sure every truck is clean, make one person from the crew responsible for keeping the truck clean, most of the cases the foreman would be the one, nobody leaves the shop until every truck is clean.
    If problem persist
    Nobody is allowed to stop at burger king or any other place to get food with the company truck.

in extremes cases

The person who leaves garbage in the truck will be fired if nobody knows who's garbage is then the whole crew gets fired.

6. Andrew S

Andrew S LawnSite Member

Make them stay back to clean the truck

One of my guys was in hurry to get home the other day and he usually goes slower than the rest of the guys.well guess what the other guys went slow for him just to show him what a two way street is

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I don't run mowing crews (except for my wife and I) but I am the station supervisor at the fire house. You have to have rules that are explained and understood by everyone. You have to show them once make sure they understand and then they are accountable.

We have a checklist of items to do every morning. We also have a book that has, for lack of a better term, rules.
    Along with that goes discipline if the rules are broken. You also have to remember that when the rules are followed, people like to hear they are doing a good job.

8. tazman

tazman LawnSite Member

Any other insights from people out there??

9. hnter

hnter LawnSite Member

put an empty white tall kitchen garbage bag into every truck every morning...any garbage that accumulates during the day goes straight into the bag...at the end of the day it is easier to simply grab that bag and go than it would be to collect all the loose garbage from the floor, under the seat, etc...

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Make clean truck yet another part of the equation on what you base bonuses on and your trucks will remain much cleaner.

Gravely_Man