Cleaning out Valve Box

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by naturescaretaker, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Every summer I guide a few whitewater rafing trips where we use these hand pumps like the one that tony shows above for water wars. The pumps with the flex hose on them also work great for bailing water out of some rafts, canoes, etc.

When I'm not waging water wars on other people, I use my Rainbird hand pump for its primary purpose. These things sure are handy when tapping into a homes existing water service line, which is usually a few feet down in the ground in this area. Before I got the hand pump I was often faced with a deep muddy hole in the ground. The water wouldn't perculate out fast enough, and I'd get pretty impatient because of the homes water being turned off. So there I would be with Jerry's Big Gulp Cup, my head down in that muddy hole with my other end sticking up. I can't tell you how old that gets.

2. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Sprinkler guy,
    WHERE CAN I GET ONE OF THOSE "SUCK TUBES" ACTUALLY 2 OF THEM. I HAVE SEARCHED AND ONLY CAN FIND THE BECKSON PUMPS. CAN U GIVE ME A PHONE # OR A WEBSITE. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

MATT

3. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

It is kind of sad that I am looking forward to keeping hoses and a shopvac in a service van inorder to try to clean out a dirty manifold box.

4. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Here is what I use. I can also use the battery for the impact wrench to change blades in the field. If I can clean it out dry I would rather work with that then wet mud and sand. Most of what we pull out is sand anyway.

5ca991d9-4856-48e0-9cb7-09a0ed5a5740_3.jpg

5. See other post.

6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the pic.....I thought I knew what you were talking about cuz the local supply house sells one that has an opening that has an ID perfect to hold a piece of swing pipe and an OD that fits 3/4" poly. I like the looks of this one better. What brand is it? FYI, I usually keep a spare around that I haven't filled with mud, rocks, etc. and the kids like to steal it when they head for the pool...............

7. tomcl

tomcl LawnSite Member

That is a Dewalt Vacuum--It runs on 18 volt battery(about 15 minutes) or it uses 110vac. They work great--too bad that it doesn't charge the battery when it is plugged in--They're less than a Benji at Home Depot, etc...Not including a battery...
    I can get you a suck tube for around $40 plus shipping.