Cleaning pond after 10 years help?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Az Gardener, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

The hard and ugly part is over. We have scrubbed the algae off the walls to the best of our ability with wire brushes and we have power washed it too. I was thinking about refilling and acid washing it to kill off any remaining algae that may be lurking, then draining 1/4-1/2 of the water and re filling, then adding plants and fish. My concern is that some plants are grown into and under waterfall that cannot be removed, so how will acid wash effect these plants? They are Iris and cat tails. I don't know what level the Ph will be, as I would follow swimming pool procedures to do the wash and they don't have a clue what the Ph would be. Any suggestions?

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

It will probably kill them..If they want their pond clean this is just a sacrifice that will have to be made.They can always get more and they will grow.Just tell your client about it.Let them make the decision of killing the rest of the algea or killing the plants.

3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

there are some new products out 4 step program if the pond is in bad shape
    go to step 3 (algae killer) then step 4 weed killer
    step 1 blue color to block sunlight step 2 breaks up silt on bottom
    these r used for big ponds (golf courses) but they going to start making small
    qty. for home owners

4. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

dont acid wash the pond or remove the algae on the walls.. you want this stuff.. thats what keeps the pond clean.
    Drain and remove any debris that is on the bottom and refill the pond. If you had/have algae problems it is because your water is dirty.. do a water change weekly and the algae will eventually die off..
    Water changes eliminate the the nutrients in the water which cause the algae to grow.
    treating the pond with algae killers or pond shades..is like puttin a band aid on a broken arm.