Cleaning slate...

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jameson, Jun 2, 2006.

1. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

on a roof, of a Tea House, that is 80+ yrs old!

I am going to pressure wash the entire structure next week. I already did the floor (its gleaming white!) this week. However I need to get the moss off that roof. There are incredible hues of blue, pink, gray etc. hiding underneath.

There is going to be a huge charity garden party at the end of June and the last thing I need is for the Tea House to be missing pieces of slate. I am thinking of using a telescoping window cleaning brush, its soft bristled and HOPEFULLY should do no damage. Any thoughts welcome. I will post pics when I am done...

Tea House roof.jpg

2. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

a pressure washer is the first thing that comes to mind.... but, i dont think you wanna chance breaking the slate with too much water pressure. maybe you could rent a cherry picker and scrape it all off with a putty knife, then use that soft window brush to finish it up.

3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Yeah, pressure washing slate is a definite NO-NO! I will take one of my orchard ladders and will be able to reach the entire roof with the telescoping brush. I will also bring some Simple Green along to see if it helps...I dunno :dizzy:

4. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Got her done. What a pain in the hindquarters! Used the 16' orchard ladder. What I could not scrape off with the stiff bristled brush and water stayed. Sprayed some Slippery Green on the roof to kill the remaining moss. Customer is happy, so I am happy. I also pressure washed the entire structure.

Roberts Tea House.jpg

5. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Different view. The colors of the slate are outstanding in person. Gotta be there I guess.

Roberts Tea House 2.jpg

6. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I love the moss =). Gives it character.

7. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Well, good, I left some 'character' on the very top! :waving:

8. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Looks alot better but why leave the moss at the top? That what the customer wanted? Either way, looks alot better

9. CWRSNY

CWRSNY LawnSite Member

Looks like a small piece of a rather large estate??...otherwise very nice job.
    Mike